• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh oh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't trust a powersupply that costed less than $80 with any of my computers...

edit: in power supplys, cost is usualy proportional to the level of quality, and quality of componants.

That said, it doesn't show the actual power levels across the different voltage lines. I'd return it and buy well-trusted supply.

I would not trust that PSU. Especially with 15A on 12V and no PFC. I think the best PSU for the lowest cost is the Sparkle 550 for around $85. It has 36A and active PFC.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-SP550SL

A good PSU should have at lease 30A on 12V and active PFC. If you want a decent PSU and don't want to pay the cost, get a dual 12V rail with at lease 24A total on 12V with active PFC. Those are usually a little cheaper than the single 12V rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104907

This is one is a name I'm not too sure about but it is cheap and it has active PFC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167010

This only has 20 pin.

Well im running a 519 3.06 (I will upgrade to Cedar Mill next year and needed a cheap one just to get me by) And an abit fatal1ty board with a 120gb SATA 150 Harddrive and a Gforce6600 Video Card. Will this PS be enough?

Do yourself a favor, CoreGamer, and don't skimp on the PSU. This is a common beginner's error. Don't even buy what you need. Buy more than you need because you will need more soon enough. The 500 watt Fortron ($79.50 shipped at ActBuy.com) is the least you should go with. I suggest you go up to the Sparkle 550 watt that Spider suggested as it's single rail and the 500 watt is dual rail. I don't know what eWiz gets for shipping, but it's $99 with shipping at ZZF.

My friend bought that Atrix thinking it might be a good deal. Just... well... don't.

Unless you enjoy roasting marshmallows indoors. :p

Ok so I should buy a 550 "sparkle" from ewiz?Is it good?

NOTE: I have 120 Dollars to spend on the PS WITH Shipping

I dont want to spend too much, But like stated above I dont want to skimp and I want to get a good one

The Sparkle/Fortron 550w recommended is the cheapest such PSU I know of that can be considered not skimping in some way. It's not geared for absolute silence and is not the most efficient design by today's standards, but it will do rated power and last and last and last. The modular capabilities of the Ultra do look good, but that's exactly what you're paying for with them - the Wintech made innards are average quality.

The Fortron AX500-A will also power that rig if you're looking to save a little more money - it's not a whole lot cheaper than the 550w PLG, but has a little more bling factor to it and a 120mm fan.

I'd suggest avoiding modulars entirely if you're on a tight budget. The better ones that are ok quality inside will probably set you back more than you want to spend. Right now, the only two modulars I like are the Seasonic made Antec Neo HE's and the Enermax Liberty line. I'd suggest no lower than 480w from either line for a P4 build.

I want at least 500W and I have 120 Dollars(I dont think thats very tight for a PS). Thanks for all your help so far Wolf. Do you think that Modular would be bad? I have no problem getting that fortron but having a modular like that ultra for only 100 Bucks looks good, but of course your the expert so Id like to hear what you say

The Ultra would probably do ok for a while, but my money wouldn't be on it being around more than a couple years or being able to meet the label ratings for long. Overclocking may also be affected.

Back