• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DO NOT use Noctua Industrial PPC fans in a home computer. They are not for desktop use. They are for industrial use. Refrigerators, dishwashers, labs, servers, etc. They are annoyingly loud. Very loud. It's one thing to "Shelve the quiet fan idea" but it's another thing entirely to go from quiet fans to working on your computer next to an active runway at JFK international. That's what the experience is going to be like. Don't do it.

Yes but the temp option is close? either way it looks pretty good for and old CPU. Should do what you need for a while yet.

Soooo soo so!! I F´ed up my CPU (broke off a pin) so are looking to replace it ! Is the 8350 the best alternativ or should i bang my head against a wall and go for the 9 series?
It requiers a huge amount of cooling, and is it worth the while, or just get an 8350 and clock the hell out of it..
I have installed a custom loop so heat wont be an issue for this..

phloon1981, I hardly would know how to answer your post #155 about getting FX-8350 or doubling down on one of the FX-9xxx cpus. Up until the FX 8 cores started showing up with an odd way of acting to the nearly 2 years of previous 8 cores...well it would have been easy to say. The 8 cores began to ALL do about 5.0Ghz and some of the new FX-8350/70 8 cores would do 4.8 to 5.0Ghz on fairly low voltage when earlier 5.0Ghz speeds were considered on the cpu voltage side of things. BUT and here is the rub...the later cpus seemed to hang very close to 5.0Ghz and would not do banzai runs to about 5.5Ghz for benching on heavy duty water. For me; well I just don't care for that later FX cpu caveat. Heck "johan" was writing in the long "putzen" thread about being lucky and getting what seemed a mid-2013 FX-8350, I think it was that would do pretty good voltage wise but again go into the mid 5's for Ghz. He was proud of his used 8 core FX.

Now that is weird. Hehehe. Have seen a couple of guys reporting that the cheap FX-8100 would clock just as well as the down on price but still more expensive FX-9590. Now what kind of sense is that?

I just cannot see myself giving AMD anymore money than is necessary for a cpu that lags behind in technology right now. They did not bring steamroller and left most of us hung out to dry for nearly 2 years, still hoping for something new and fast in 2016.

I am thinking about trying an FX-8100 or FX-8370 just to see if I can get a good one. Don't think I am going to bite on the lowered price of the FX-9590 since none of them but a very small percentage ever had much overclock headroom (past 5.0Ghz) no matter how good the water cooling and you have enough for sure it seems.

Truth to me it is like buying a grab-bag, to buy an FX 8 core today and really so if we still remember the near 5.5Ghz banzai runs of 2013. Now you know as much as can be said based on what has seemed to appear in here in real time. Good luck on your grab-bag purchase man.

RGone...

i think i will go with the 8350, and see i can get a buck or two when in need of upgrading to new components later on..

What does your rig pack, RGone?

He runs an 8350, I have to agree with the rest though. I have a 9370 and really there's o difference between it and the 8350. Just higher clocks and VID. The last few "new" CPUs have really clocked well with low voltage so with luck you may get one of those as well.

Just higher clocks and VID.

I want to make that part of "johan's" statement perfectly clear unless someone misunderstand; he is speaking to the DEFAULT clocks and thus also to the Turbocore clocks and NOT to the overall overclock. The n0 real higher overall clock is what has got us into disappointment with the FX-9xxx series as they have higher default speeds for those that do not overclock but to those of us who are ducks to water about overclocking...the FX-9xxx series brings nothing extra to the party.

I agree with "johan" and had tried to say it in post above...later FX-8xxx cpus have seemed to reach a sort of magic 5.0Ghz and often so with a little less voltage than earlier FX-8xxx cpus, but again they have not seemed to have that magic speed bursts when overclocked to do the benching thing at ~5.5Ghz on heavy duty water.

I actually believe that were I heavily focused mostly on gaming, that an FX-6850 might well be my choice so that overclocks might be more easily accomplished by not having to drag along extra cores that in gaming are really only likely to just add heat to have to be removed.

In history with the downsize of the guts of cpus, has come the biggest grab bag of cpus and what to expect as an overclock and that fits the AMD discrete cpus and the Intel cpus since Sandy Bridge. You just have no clue how the dice roll is going to come out when you buy a cpu today.

I might even just get the FX-8100 and save almost enough money to just set a poor clocking FX-8100 aside and buy another in an effort to get that "gem" of a cpu. Hehehe. I have done such for years now so that I did not feel so dang obligated to the poor cpu and hold onto it with a death grip but could try another dice roll purchase to get closer to that "gem" cpu. But hey that is me.

I have no problem with buying a used cpu from someone I know well and have two of them now. One pretty darn good FX-8120 and the FX-8350 in my VidEdit rig I type from right now. I have one good new FX-8350 (idle right now) that under my water would do P95 Blend mode for over 2.5 hours at 5.2Ghz. Been awhile but I think that was at 1.5ish Vcore, maybe 1.525Vcore not sure since it has been idle awhile since I am between locations. No it was n0t like the new ones with a fairly low cpu voltage to run P95 Blend mode at close to 5.0Ghz with g00d water cooling on a good mobo, but I still like it very well. And it would bench in the 5.5Ghz range and for that I was more than pleased. Hehehe.

Roll'em cpu buying dice and go for it. Nobody knows what you will get. You have an awesome mobo and cooling phloon1981, so that will not be 'the' issue if your cpu does not clock well. It will be the cpu. Get'R done man. Hehehe.

RGone...

Soooo soo so!! I F´ed up my CPU (broke off a pin) so are looking to replace it ! Is the 8350 the best alternativ or should i bang my head against a wall and go for the 9 series?
It requiers a huge amount of cooling, and is it worth the while, or just get an 8350 and clock the hell out of it..
I have installed a custom loop so heat wont be an issue for this..

Oh wow that's rough. I've broken pins on cpus before and it's a real shame when that happens. It looked like you had a great chip there. :(

Oh wow that's rough. I've broken pins on cpus before and it's a real shame when that happens. It looked like you had a great chip there. :(

Sig rig is missing a pin. Still up and running after all these years, bought it that way from ebay for parts not working. Meh worked fine, de-lidded and hit 4ghz. Can't beat that for 35$ not for one but 2 of them. Both missing pins opposite sides of the PCB also.

Back in the day, there where these nifty pin guides and multiplier mods with volt mods and so on..... Overclocking just only got easier with the purchase of the right board and completely unlocked bios if youre willing to spend the pennies.

Wonder where those pin mods could take overclocking now a days? Hard mod me some multiplier permanently, Fark what the bios wants lol!! T-Birds can fly.

So i got the new chip FX8350, and it got a good clap on shoulder and a gift of volts (pretty much), now doing 4.8 @ 1.416 V.. Max temp under load at 52, so im happy with it...

Any thoughts?

So i got the new chip FX8350, and it got a good clap on shoulder and a gift of volts (pretty much), now doing 4.8 @ 1.416 V.. Max temp under load at 52, so im happy with it...

Any thoughts?
Nice! That seems like pretty good voltage for that overclock. Not bad temps either I would say. You should post some pictures!

Sounds pretty darn good phloon1981. Just make sure you are okay on temps over the length of the P95 Blend stability testing and then say WoWee good'un.

RGone...

Had it running p95 a little over 8 hours, day time here temps peaked a lot higher (59) but with an ambient temp at 24.7, so it isnt that bad i think...
Though its a little odd i did a test in 3dmark for reference against the old chip, and at 4ghz the old chip scored higher than the new one at 4.8ghz, any idea why that occurs?

EDIT: Maybe my ram is giving up on me?

Check the individual scores, the Thuban uses all 6 cores for the combined test where the FX will only have 4 threads. It's the benchmark itself. Also the FX will do better with faster ram, that's for sure.

Back