• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from a Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPotter

It has been more than four years since my last major hardware upgrade. The last piece I bought was my video card in March 2004, that was my Senior year in high school. Four years later, I have a degree in electrical engineering, and the promise of positive inflow of money. The time has finally come to say goodbye to my Barton.

I am planning on buying a new processor, motherboard, video card, and ram. I would really like to get a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a Geforce 9600, but I am uncertain regarding the selection of the motherboard and ram.

I'm a bit out of the loop these days, is it common practice to set your proc frequency at a different rate than your memory frequency? It would be great if I could buy some cheap PC2 6400 and a cheap mobo to last me a few years, but I don't want to gimp the processor.

So I want to ask the community for some advice:

1) Should I wait for a processor price drop? (is there a price drop coming)

2) Can I get away with using PC2 6400 and still max out the chip? 2Gb or 4Gb?

3) any specific motherboard suggestions would be great.

I would like to keep these upgrades below $600

I appologize for double post. The site lagged big time right afterword . . . not sure it was my fault =P

Back