• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Slot A AMD Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MalcX1

I am about to try to upgrade my computer, which is a Evesham Vale Kit computer (my own spec’s two years ago, boy did I think I had a fast PC back then!!!) so like all other humans on this planet the need for a faster computer has over taken me again.

I have a MS (M.S.I) 6167 mother board with an AMD Athon Slot A/Socket A 550Mhz (200Mhz fsb) processor (K7550MTR51b A - Sno 230003001303). I have just upgraded my PSU to 350watts in anticipation and I am currently using Windows ME, although this doesn’t mater for what I want to do.
Here are my questions on upgrading my PC: -
1. The CPU contained within the Slot A cartage - can this be up-graded/changed/unplugged, once the case is opened/removed, for a faster CPU say Thunderbird 1.2Ghz (200Mhz FSB -as recommended from MSI). I have seen lots of articles showing me how to open the case (overclocking) but none showing you how to upgrade the chip. Is it just the same as a normal Socket A chip?
2. Is the pin No/setting the same as a Processor with out a case (normal Socket A CPU)? (I am finding it hard to find suppliers with the complete Slot A housing) can you recommend any?
3. I have seen Socket A processors (the type I presume I will upgrade to) that range between 1Ghz to 1.4 Ghz (all with 200Mhz FSB) but upon reviewing them (AMD site) I can see no difference in their spec's - what is the difference? Could I put in a 1.4Ghz instead of a 1.2Ghz? Is the 1.4Ghz processor the same chip as the 1Ghz but just with a higher clock speed?

you will have to look at your motherboard specs. i dougt you mb can support a 1.4 Ghz processor, it can probably only supposrt up to 800 or so. check that then make your decision

First of all welcome to our forums!

I don´t wan´t to dissappoint you, but there´s no way, to put a socket A CPU in a Slot Board, you also can´t change the Cpu within a Slot Processor. You might be able to put in a 1 Ghz Slot A Athlon. But first check if your Board supports it. There are also a few Slot A T-Birds available. But they are not supported in many Slot A Boards. Check on the homepage of your Board Manufacturer if theres a Bios Update available.
Or, do what most People on this Page do and overclock the hell out off your old Slot A. I myself am still using a Slot A. And overclocked as it is, it´s still sufficent for me.
If you should need help with overclocking it, feel free to ask or private mail me, for more details. Most 550´s should do at least 750 or even more with a little more voltage and good cooling.
Hope that helps!

It would be best to get a 750-900mhz SLot A Athlon, Thunderbird or Classic, then get a GFD which connects to the Golden fingers on the chips PCB and allows for multiplyer change. Most of the time you can reach one gig.
There used to be infact that some of the 550 Athlons, like you have were Major overclockers, I mean hitting 1gig with proper cooling on air. but that was just a fable I belive, been unable to find anybody that still has one overclocked. I would overclock a 550 that I have but I damaged the golden fingers incidently...

Your other choice is to get a New Socket A cpu and a new motherboard. You have the choice of SDram or DDr motherboards as well. Plus, most boards support the Athlon XP, (go for DDR boards here+ Athlon XP 2000+ is 1.6ghz).

My slot a rig is in a Case that is being cooled by outside air. 17C (5.5x110) full load right now. Im haveing to use the Slot A rig cause I fried the proc for teh Socket A board, have 1.2 on layaway.

Also the Slot A 1gig are so rare and expensive...its not worth getting them cause you can have a good Socket A combo instead.

?

If you want to hit a 1000mhz guranteed get the t-bird slot A 900mhz with a gfd thats what i got. Im running 1000mhz
but make sure you have a mobo that supports it .
some only used to take the classic slot A . A 750 chipset will take the tbirds.
later

Re: ?

Myself and I said:
If you want to hit a 1000mhz guranteed get the t-bird slot A 900mhz with a gfd thats what i got. Im running 1000mhz
but make sure you have a mobo that supports it .
some only used to take the classic slot A . A 750 chipset will take the tbirds.
later

Most of teh KX133's took the thunderbird with upgraded BIOS...

?

Yeah they did but only up to like 800mhz
as far as i know only the 760 chipset supported up to 1000mhz but FSB adjustments were non existent. I heard the best board was made by asuess and they did use kt133 and some people actually made it to 1200mhz on a slot processor.
dont ask me how i cant remember

Re: ?

the KT133 was for Socket A cpus only, period. Its was a revised version of the kx133, revised for socket A cpus. Then later came the KT133a which fully supported the 133fsb. Also the KX133 has more bandwidth than the AMD 750...memory bandwidth that is.
I have seen kx133 boards taking more than 900mhz....the only prob is that with most board it was a hit or miss to get a 900+ tbird in one...most did fine with a latest BIOS.

I g2g Laterz.

I would like to see a KT133a chipset stuck in pace of a KX133 on a Slot A board...

Back