• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB port dropping connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
hello all. need some direction on a USB port issue. hope i can explain this clearly enough.

my front panel has 2 groups of 2 usb 2.0 ports. when i plug my ipad mini to a port on one group it disconnects and reconnects rapidly. when i plug it into a port on the other group it works fine. i thought ok maybe something is wrong with those ports. so i plugged in another device (iphone) and it works fine. no dropping of the connection.

i havent tried uninstalling/reinstalling usb controllers at all yet. frankly, when i look in device manager there are so many different USB descriptions i'm not where to start.

Any direction on troubleshooting?

thanks

Do the two groups of USB ports on the front panel connect to the same motherboard header?

Does it happen when you connect it to a usb header at the back of your rig?

well i tried again before i tried everyone's suggestions and it didnt disconnect as rapidly. had to wait about 5 minutes then it acted up again. i have asus ai charger installed and thought to reinstall that. seems to be working again now.

thanks for the suggestions all.:thup:

we'll see if it stays fixed :-/

Any Asus AI Suite software is known to cause issues, just an FYI.

well today same old issue. i decided to uninstall AI charger and now the USB port connection doesnt drop, but also does not charge the ipad. but its not supposed to be able to anyway. i thought maybe since i have a gigabyte board i would try their on/off charging software. same thing happens though. very strange.

i guess i can start updating drivers, BIOS and the like, but aside from being just slightly annoying, I can just avoid using those ports for the ipad. i've had too many sleepless nights trying to get to the bottom of these kinds of issues. as i am sure all here have had as well. :attn:

Back