• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uses of old computer, price checks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah I think getting a few upgrades for my current rig would work better, wait a few more years for the SLI to be more well-known and for 7800Ultras and Longhorn to come out mass-marketed.

Updated with cheaper parts in post #19, couldn't really think of much other things to change for an even cheaper price.

darksparkz said:
Hmm, yeah as I read somewhere on the forums, the overclockers rule is: "When it's not broken, don't fix it". If I were to buy the whole new rig, with 3700+ and two 7800GTXs, it'll come out to about $2500. But If i only upgraded my HP and brought new parts for it, it'll be about $1100.

I'm a bit far away from $2500, but if I get to sell this HP I'd get enough. The biggest problem is selling it, not many people would want to buy an used computer, and for Ebay, I don't have a long record on Ebay, so not much of a "selling history", and you need high reviews to be able to sell stuff well. If I can't sell it, then I'll just buy parts for it. If anyone knows of a good website to sell used computers or if you know someone that would be willing to negotiate over it, PM or email me :rolleyes:

i would reccomend NOT trading outside the classifieds.
Why?
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=393661

dfi refurb from newegg
6800 gt check classifieds and do some looking around. You can beat that price
fortron psu. Where was it for $73? Check classifieds if your heart is set on the ocz
You can definately do better on the case.
Might not do a lot better on the heatsink but I am getting 2.65 on a 3000+ 754 folding 24/7 for the last 5 months. The 2800+ does even better (newer). Both are on xp-90s with 53cfm fans and the xps were 24 plus shipping new and the fan 5 and a half.

I would definately get a new case and most likely a couple of case fans to go with it. I would not exceed 28 db on the case fans and 42 db on the cpu fan. Db levels above these may become quite annoying. Shop around some. I'm presently trying to put together a 3.4 to 3.6 Celeron D with ( a somewhat delusional) goal of doing qmds in under or at 24 hours. There are some pretty sharp shoppers around this site and if you will use the people here they will most likely help you to select very good price/performance parts. You are of course welcome to go out on your own however if you are not sure then why not ask. Many will help. BTW, my newegg DFI refurb ($64) mobo is every bit as good as my brand new newegg DFI board. Did not come with the drivers but that is easy to do on the internet. Take Care and welcome to "the passion"?

darksparkz said:
After a bit of searching, I found a good build to just buy new parts for my current rig, is this going to be good?:

DFI LANPARTY UT NF3 250Gb nForce3 Skt754 $109.95
eVGA GeForce 6800GT 256MB $308.21
Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select $82.90
OCZ POWERSTREAM 520W $124.95
Thermaltake Dream Tower Series -Tsunami VA3000SWA $111.99
Thermatalke CL-P0071 Sonic Tower 4 in 1 Heatpipe Cooler $48.99
Delta 120x38mm FFB1212VHE $23.95

The RAM says it's dual channel, but I know the 754 motherboards don't support dual channel, would the RAM still work on non-dual channel motherboards?

Edit: Getting the new case is needed, right now it's a stock Micro-ATX HP case, pretty small.

Total: ~$810

Back