• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT (original) framerate limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Is there some sort of imposed framerate limit when running original UT on Windows? Because my dual Athlon XP 1700+ system (GF3 Ti200, 512 MB PC2100) runs about the same average framerates as the new LAN party rig I just built (XP2500+ Barton, 166 FSB, GF4 Ti4600, nForce2 mobo, 512 MB PC3200 running synchronous @ 166/333 MHz)

Both systems seem to get about 60 FPS average when I start a practice round on Deck16][ with 16 bots and play the full round. I know these systems are very different in 3D Horsepower. Duallie 3DMark2K1SE's at about 4000-5000 depending on a few things and the LAN rig did about 12,000 last night and I haven't even really tweaked memory timings or overclocked the video card yet.

What bothers me even more is that when playing UT on the dual system in Red Hat Linux I get 120-130 FPS average doing the same thing (Deck16][ practice session with 16 bots).

And if this framerate limit exists, can it be modified? (e.g. like in HL)

thx,
sb

There's no hard limit per say. It's just that no hardware currently invinted can take it very far above that 90FPS the GF2 Ultra set years ago...

Sever Diminishing returns with UT and video benchmarks...

What differance dose it make LoL! It's old and anything over 70FPS... What dose it matter? That's even more true about an old game LoL!

im not sure if theres a hard limit in ut as ive never hit it personally but the reason your being limited to 60fps is because you have v-sync enabled, which limits your fps to the frequency of your monitor. eg if your monitor runs at 85hz vsync will synchronize your fps to 85, if your monitor runs at 60hz (like mine :)) youll be limited to 60fps

to turn off vsync just go into your display properties, click the advanced tab and under the GeForceX tab there shoul dbe a side menue that has opengl and DirectX settings, you have to turn vsync off for both if you want to.

the reason your linux system reaches those high fps is because it probably keeps it off by default, dont quote me on that im the biggest linux n00b around ;)

There are some benefits to running Vsync, it does keep tearing to a minimum and it may reduce eye strain if your suffering any while playing. But other than that its mearly personal opinion.

*edit* and afaik the HL frame limit cannot be adjusted, the engines capable of only rendering 100fps no matter what hardware you throw at it. the fps_max 100 command only brings your fps from 60-70, dont know which off the top of my head, but there is a hard limit at 100 that cannot be surpassed, anyone that says they run hl at more is lying. (there is a command on some servers that spins you around in a circle and judges the time it takes to complete the circle and derives a theoretical fps, but thats not what fps your getting during the game, because it still limits you to 100.

whooping_a_panda said:
im not sure if theres a hard limit in ut as ive never hit it personally but the reason your being limited to 60fps is because you have v-sync enabled, which limits your fps to the frequency of your monitor. eg if your monitor runs at 85hz vsync will synchronize your fps to 85, if your monitor runs at 60hz (like mine :)) youll be limited to 60fps

Ditto, my first impression as well.

Back