• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VAC to VDC adapter work to run case fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

I found a Nikko ac power adapter which was used to recharge nicad batteries for my RC car. it says it out put 12VDC at 600mA. Think I could run two case fans off that? Just will have to test to make sure I know which one is 12v and which one is ground. I also know I would want fans which combined would have to be under 600mA.

But do you agree that this should work to safely power a case fan or two?

thanks

Given what you've said, absolutely.
12V is 12V.

Make sure it actually puts out 12V though, if it's transformer based it probably puts out more like 15V with a low load.

Given what you've said, absolutely.
12V is 12V.

Make sure it actually puts out 12V though, if it's transformer based it probably puts out more like 15V with a low load.

cool, thanks. I checked and the adapter is putting out a little low. 11.95v but that is not a issue for a fan. But would that be a issue if I ran that to a fan controller?

Nope 11.95 is fine.
Too low for that operation will just mean that the maximum fan speed is lower.
Too high is more of an issue.

Nope 11.95 is fine.
Too low for that operation will just mean that the maximum fan speed is lower.
Too high is more of an issue.

what about to power a fan speed controller? I know the electronics are more sensitive to different volts compared to a fan

They are, but they almost certainly have regulators inside to drop it to 5v anyway.
If they don't have internal regulators you'll need to feed them 5v.

Unless of course it's a rheostat type controller, which is passive and doesn't care.

They are, but they almost certainly have regulators inside to drop it to 5v anyway.
If they don't have internal regulators you'll need to feed them 5v.

Unless of course it's a rheostat type controller, which is passive and doesn't care.

ok, thanks, yes my fan controller says it needs 12v so it should be fine. I was just worried about the volt fluxuration

Back