• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado 92mm questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Im looking in to getting three vantec tornado 92mm fans, and, yes, i know they are loud, i got the sunbeam baybus to manage that with, the question is/was... what "type" of noise should i expect?
is it like the 60mm deltas that scream on high rpm (6800 and some) or as the zalmans, simply the "swoshing" sound of the air being moved... ?
how do they behave when you drop voltages for them, is it possible to get them "somewhat quiet" or do they suffer from bearing clatter on lower speeds... ?

I guess thats about it.. i as said, i know they are loud... possybly i should even type "LOUD", but i need something more powerfull in my case to cool the darn prescott...

Oh, yeah, i finaly found someone selling em in sweden...
B!

Ever heard a hairdryer or maybe a shopvac.... Sounds allmost identical! I had the 92mm verion and i broke it after 1 week!

With the 92mm, it's not as much of a whine as a loud hum/whoosh... especially if you have any fan grills blocking their path, then it's very noisy. They react well to controllers, my controller only went down to 7V so I can't say anything about voltage lower than that, but when you lower the voltage the noise drops significantly. At 7V, it's mostly a lower whoosh/hum... my brother could sleep with them at 7V, if you want a better example.

They'll give you the airflow that you want, that's for sure :D. Have you considered a 120mm fan at all? You can get the same airflow at a lower noise level. It just requires a little cutting to get them to fit.

There was a 172mm fan I found for a acid.fly that was 180cfm at 44dB and used less power than a Tornado. Tornadoes are excellent for high pressure airflow, but for case cooling pressure isn't as important b/c the fans don't have work against much resistance, so any 92mm or 120mm fan would work in case cooling. Tornadoes are great for ducting to your HSF, though, my brother (enduro) ducted his 92mm to his Aeroflow and it dropped his load temps by 8°C or something like that.

Good luck on your cooling ! :)

Its about as loud as a hair dryer on low. You can live with it, but you dont want to(lol). Lower the voltage and it will still hum, but less hum and less woosh. All of my other fans dont hum at all, just woosh. If you get what I mean.

also make sure your baybus can handle all the watts you need to run these loud beasts. They are loud but the sure get the job done...... :clap:

WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

..just kidding, but not really. I have one on my CPU. Yes. They are excessively loud. It is a ridiculous WHINE and WHOOSH. Have to turn up the tv about 8 notches to hear it. Lowering the voltage does cause bearing noise, but it is tolerable when the fans are inside the case (bearing noise is easly absorbed by the case).

Three of these. Omfg... well, at least dBA don't add, the percentage of total noise is percentage points higher. Total noise of three Tornados? Ummm.. kinda hard to find something that would compare. Ever been at a concert where a plug came loose and the big buzzing noise came blaring through the speakers at 110dBA... yeah, kind've like that.

BTW, I'm still waiting for my 172mm to come in... *excited*

-Frank

They are LOUD compared to other fans and at first they will annoy you to no end. I recommend installing them and let them run with the cover off your case for a day or so to fully give you the sound of them. Then put the cover back on and the different in noise level will seem that much more pronounced that you won't think them to be quite as bad. LOL

I've always wondered how quiet they can be scaled down to? Say running at 7v or even starting 12v to spin it up and lowering it to 5v, or even lower.

You see, I'm after the whole "Holy mother of God, is that your PC?" and also I'm a big fan(haha) of quiet computing.

I got the Sunbeam rheobus, officialy rated for 20 watt output on every channel... and "stepless 0-12v" so that should cover it... the fans have to pull through some fairly restricktive dust filters to get the air in, should keep atleast some noise inside the case.. Only wondering about the wattage ratings.. the rheo says 20 watt / channel, and the fan claim max 12.5 watt each... that would sugest that if both are connected on the same channel, i'll be lacking 5w... would that be the same as "turned down" a bit, or will it put strain on the rheo, and make it burn ?

Oh well, trial and error will tell if nothing else, the rheo without faceplates is fairly cheap.
B!

Oh, guys, you think i could make a big hole in the bottom, and use the case as a hoover craft ?

Back