• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid - PIN wire wrapping for Tualatin Celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good to see no-one here burnt the chips.
i doubt if removing the mod will still leave the voltages available in the bios. i have a TUSL2-C and heard that the wires could be removed after the voltages were released. is anyone sure if that will work?
thanks.

oTTO said:
good to see no-one here burnt the chips.
i doubt if removing the mod will still leave the voltages available in the bios. i have a TUSL2-C and heard that the wires could be removed after the voltages were released. is anyone sure if that will work?
thanks.

Otto's correct, if you remove the wires it returns the processor to default voltage. The wires are changing the default value, but this is auto-detected during each bios startup, not one time after the initial cmos setup.

Yes, but you need to keep an eye on your CPU temps because they will increase as you increase the Vcore voltage. The general concensus seems to be that you can go to around 1.8 Vc using air cooling, as long as your CPU temps are around 38-43C (loaded).

See my sig for my setup.

The voltage mod is very safe to do, barring that you read the instructions carefully. The extra 0.25 increment is crucial.

Personally, to eliminate the chance that cooling is the problem for your Tualatin to not to be stable, I recommend keeping your load temps at 40c or below. This should be with a 1.8/1.825v setting in the bios.

Hi guys, got a quick question, Im currently running a Celeron 633 o/c to 894 on a Asus Cusl2-c Black Pearl Edition. I know that it does not officially support Tuatulin core's, but will my board accept it with or without doing the voltage mod? I want to get a Celly 1.2, and stick it in this board, and it seems to be that they will not burn up at 1.65v, which is the lowest my board goes. I think that it should be fine, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew what I should do? :) Thanks

Yoda

i was reading the article about the pin mod and it says to lower the voltage as low it can. can i just leave it at default then do it?

Homer said:
i was reading the article about the pin mod and it says to lower the voltage as low it can. can i just leave it at default then do it?

I cleared the cmos before doing it.

What about 1.5 volt T Celerons?

Any way to vid mod the 1.5 volt Tualatin Celerons? In my case it's a 1.4GHz one with a defaukt voltage of 1.5 not 1.475. I've tried wrapping vid1 to vid2 but, although that worked on my 1.2GHz Celeron, it doesn't work on my 1.4GHz chip.:eh?:

Look on intel's site for the spec sheet on the 1.4ghz chip, be sure the vid pins are still in the same spots/assignments...

I have stumbled on another approach to the actual pin-wrapping.
It is particularly useful for "long distance" connections.
I did ths yesterday and it works pretty well ... here goes.

Using the same gauge wire Pinky describes , you wrap it once around a needles' shaft. The needle diameter should match processor pin diameters. A touch of solder on the loop holds the ring shape and won't stick to the needle. Do the same to the opposite end of the wire.

Between the loops lay out a piece of tape (Scotch, masking,etc.) and fold it over the wire (in half lengthwise). Trim the tape back to the wire leaving enough for insulation. Slip the loops over the pins to be connected and lay the wire down between the pins without fear of shorting at all.

If the needle diameter is just right ... the loops go down with enough friction to stay put.

Last edited:
J's Tualatin 1.45v & 1.50v->1.65v, 1.475v->1.675v Wire Trick Guide part 1 of 2

*** DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - IT'LL VOID YOUR WARRANTY ***

This will work on any Tualatin core (celeron, PIII, PIII-S) with a core voltage of 1.45, 1.475 or 1.500.

So you want to raise your default (cold boot) CPU voltage?

What we're going to do here is connect VSS to VID0, and VID1 to VID2. This will make them all "0" in the following chart, with VID3 remaining "1". Note that with a 1.45 or 1.475 chip all you have to do is connect VID1 to VID2 as VID0 is already "0".
wt_vid_chart.gif

#1: SET YOUR PROCESSOR TO ITS DEFAULT SPEED AND VOLTAGE If you have the voltage set to +0.30v in BIOS you'll get +0.30v (ie: 1.95v) after the mod when you first boot up which could damage your processor.
wt_bios_start.jpg

#2: Shut down your PC and pop the hood. Ground yourself on the case. Remove the heatsink. Remove the memory if it's close to the socket.
wt_socket_start.jpg

#3: With a marker identify VSS, VID0, VID1, and VID2. Draw a line from VSS to VID0, and VID1 to VID2. I won't be offended if you look at another guide to double check the position of the holes to be marked.
wt_socket_marked.jpg

#4: Use a utility knife to make a notch/trench along the lines.
wt_socket_notched.jpg

(Continued below)

- JW

Last edited:
J's Tualatin 1.45v & 1.50v->1.65v, 1.475v->1.675v Wire Trick Guide part 2 of 2

(Continued from above)

#5: Find some small stranded wire. Tinned copper wire is better then copper because it is more corrosion resistant. I used the speaker wire that came with my Creative Labs Soundworks speakers.
wt_wire.jpg

#6: Cut off 8~9mm of wire and use a thumbtack (or anything else that's small and handy) to bend the wire into a "U". Repeat.
wt_wire_jumpers.jpg

#7: Drop the two jumpers into the two notches/trenches you cut in step #4.
wt_socket_wired.jpg

#8: Put your processor back in place. You may have to push it a little to get it in the socket but don't push too hard! If it won't go try shifting the jumpers around in the holes. If it still won't go you may have to use smaller wire to make your jumpers. Don't forget your heatsink and memory!
wt_bios_after.jpg

No processors were harmed in the making of this article.

BTW: Here's which pins are which when orientated as above.
wt_vid_ident.jpg

- JW

Last edited:
Are the voltage changes the same for all tualatin chips (celeron and p3). I ead that to achieve a default voltage of 1.65v on a 1ghz celeron A chip, I had to conect the VSS and VID25MV pins, which I did and it fried my psu. What pins do I conect on a 1ghz celeron A to get a default voltage of 1.65v.

They are the same for all Tualatin chips (celeron, PIII, and PIII-S). Connecting VSS to VID0, and VID1 to VID2 is a universal mod that will work on any Tualatin core (as of time of posting).

If you know you have a 1.475 default Vcore chip you can make it easier and just connect VSS to VID0.

There isn't much point in playing with the VID25mv pin. 0.025V won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. However, connecting VSS to VID25mv should not wreck your PSU. Are you sure you connected the correct pins? In fact on a 1.50 Vcore chip VSS is already connected to VID25mv.

- JW

I am very sure that I connected the right pins. I even checked about 5 times on the cpu and on the mobo.

Back