• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card HSF failure! need some help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

Okay I went to turn on my computer this morning and I heard the power supply and fans and what not turn on but instead of going into bios the computer gave me a "beeep..beepbeep" and just sat there. Oh **** I though, maybe my chip burned. So I open it and take off the hsf, check all the cables and everything seems to be fine. So I turn on the computer with the side open to see if i can visually see if something is wrong. Low and behold the little red error light on my video card is on. It is a leadtek GeForce 2 GTS and I looked in the manuals and I can't find wtf that little light means. So I take it out and put it back in. THe next time I turn it on I notice that the fan is not spinning!! Would that make any difference when the computer is booting up since there is not enough activity to make the video card hot enough or is there something to detect whether or not the fan is running? I dont know do you guys have any thought? My computer is not overclocked and neither is my grafix card. I am currently on a voodoo 3 right now so you can understand my plight!!! Thanks in advance to who ever is gonna figure this mess out.

unless your video card has some sort of thermal protection (like a pentium 3) that shuts down when the fan isnt working or is too hot i know for a fact that a Geforce2 can not only boot up but play games without a fan...(though with artifacting)

i suggest you find a fan that you can solder to the same Leadtek leads to check it out or send the card back on warranty

Back