• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual memory settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

HI guys ! I have P4 2.26 512 MB RAM and Win XP Home edition... I just wonder what should I have my virtual memory set at ??? Both values ???
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks in advance !!

let windows manage it. you'll be fine.

this isn't the days when adding vm helps. windows can do fine under the nt core with the default settings.

I suggest setting a permanent swap file, instead of letting Windows manage it, so the swap file size is fixed and won't be changing all the time, getting fragmented and such.

With 512MB of RAM, you should probably set it to 256MB to 512MB of swap file, depending on the applications you normally use.

i always set permanet swap file, in my case value is 1500 min and 1500 max on only one partition ( i have 512 mb RAM )

I never trust windows to automatically set anything for me call me paranoid or anything but if i can set something manually i will do it :eek:

if thats for a regular home use system you probably wont need it to be too much.

set it to be a permanent file so that it wont get fragmented, this is all. a safe size would be about 128-256MB.

now best thing to do is monitoring the swap file usage and find out whats the highest you use to get, then set it to that.
here is how. other tips in the article too.

baqai said:
i always set permanet swap file, in my case value is 1500 min and 1500 max on only one partition ( i have 512 mb RAM )

I never trust windows to automatically set anything for me call me paranoid or anything but if i can set something manually i will do it :eek:

I agree with the 'Dont let Window$ manage...' just one question why such a large swap?
:eh?:

Plus with that much ram, you windows probably won't even use the swap file anyway, so you're just wasting disk space for nothing.

windows always uses the swapfile even if you got a gig of ram, although you could disable it all together and you would get a speed increase because it wouldnt be accessing the drive as much....i think....lol

yeah two_dope2000 is right
i got 512 ram a week ago and since then i disabled the swap file alltogether
I Feel Windows is much more faster/respons.
And nobody could say that 512 is low for disabling the swap file coz
i did an experiment :
Opened UT2003 (MAX VIDEO AND AUDIO SETTINGS) and ran some programs in the background with some open IE WIndows and the Ram Usage Never Exceeded 250-300 so u got atleast 200 other Megs to play with :)
So i really recommend it
OH BY the way i am using windows xp pro and didn't remove those services from startup (expect windows update and index archiving)

Back