• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling 10 years ago

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Thought y'all might enjoy checking out a vintage computer system from a decade ago. Here is a photo of my watercooled system in 2007. I had two separate loops, one for the CPU (blue) and one for the HD X2900XT vid card (green). This is the system I used for the Forum Wars in 2017 when I was on the benchmarking team (OCF won too). Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU on an Abit AW9D-Max mobo and 2GB of DDR2 RAM.

bat-rig-waterx2_orig.jpg

Last edited:
To keep things simple, I used a single fan in the side of the case for ventilation when I was benching.

batboy-benching-1_orig.jpg

don't forget to mention that awesome pull out keyboard tray/monitor stand that is also your power switch station/surge protector!

Nice to see some of the vets show off their old school liquid cooling systems on how things used to be. My how times have changed somewhat.

Very cool and thanks for sharing. :salute:

Don't mind me but here's my first ever Liquid cooled PC I had built in a 800D. I had started in 2011 but ended up taking a picture of it in 2012.

Best Red Picture.JPG

Last edited:
don't forget to mention that awesome pull out keyboard tray/monitor stand that is also your power switch station/surge protector!

Damn right!! LOL! I bought that keyboard tray/monitor stand in 1991 when I got my 386 computer system. The built in surge protector was worthless, so I always used a different stand alone surge protector. I still use the keyboard tray. I can slide the keyboard out of the way when I want to use my desk for something else other than playing on the computer.

GTXJackBauer, looks like you spent a lot of time on that build, looks mighty fine.

Please, post up your old watercooling photos, this will be "cool" (pun intended).

Circa 18-20 years ago.... Ye Olde water cooling setup.... No fancy stuff here, but it worked.

Eheim pump, Innovatek Res + CPU Block, cannot recall the rad brands though - Way too long ago.....:D

Old PC.jpg

OMG, that's awesome. The rad looks like a automobile heater core, which is what most of us used back in the caveman days of watercooling... before computer watercooling radiators were even made.

Is that an Eheim 1048 water pump? If so, I still use one. LOL! These pumps were originally made to be used for outdoor decorative ponds and water fountains.

Here's a few of my rigs. If you look at my monitor, you can clearly see what forum I was in back in those days ;)

I have more pics but can't seem to remember where they're stored.

*Edit*
Ooops, forgot to post up my very first attempt at watercooling with the help of Pinky. It's were it all started :D
http://www.overclockers.com/the-nebulous-cube/

Attachments

• P1030553.jpg
    P1030553.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 492
  • P1030552.jpg
    P1030552.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 540
  • P1010336.JPG
    P1010336.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 487
  • P1010344.JPG
    P1010344.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 506
  • P1010345.JPG
    P1010345.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Here's my Abit rig right after the 2008 Forum Wars. I blew up the PSU at the end but luckily finished everything. That's a pair of HD3870 single slots on the floor, and my rad & pump were in that plastic tub (I haz a bucket). The tub would go out the window in the winter. lol The HDDs are 3 Raptors in RAID0. :)

BlownUpSir.jpg

DCP_0733.jpg

Ghetto RAM and NB cooling...

DSC00414.jpg

Avatars from 10 years ago !!! I can't believe I still have these gifs!
jlkcrossfire.gif jlkforumwars.gif

Last edited:
These are awesome set-ups. I have nothing to post as i just got into H20 just a few years ago but y'all can consider this my SUB post.

I always think components and cases look so much better these days.

But I do have to question whether all the stuff the add to motherboards and cases restricts airflow and raises temperatures.

I always thought 10 years ago when I started overclocking that temps were always less of an issue for me as they are now.

Or maybe I don't remember it right.

But I do have to question whether all the stuff the add to motherboards and cases restricts airflow and raises temperatures.

Sure, we knew that all those cables and hoses and stuff can restrict air flow. We were constantly trying new ideas to improve things.

Back in the old IDE controller days the HHD connected with a flat ribbon cable. We separated those individual wires and used electrical tape to make them into round cables. I have taken drills and saws to many a case and spent lots of time with wire management. I have tried different fan placements. Trial and error eventually made me conclude that on my case anyway, one intake fan in the front panel and 2 intake fans on the side panel works well with the two rad fans blowing out the back and the power supply exhaust fan. These are all 120mm fans and seem to be well match regarding intake vs. exhaust flow.

I think heat management was a bigger issue back in the caveman OC days. We had to mod and adapt things. Do you remember a CPU called the Prescott? We nicknamed it Preshott (of course). Holy cow that was one hot running puppy... and yes we overclocked it.

Aw, don't get me started. That's the way it was... and we liked it.

I remember my Press-hott. It's the one under my Prometia showing the -42c temp. Man that sucker got toasty one you started to ramp up the speed :rofl:

I still got ProMos DDR ram which I saved as momentos of fun times ;)

I have no old pictures. :(
But I have a lot of old memories.......and quite a bit of old hardware.
I think my first waterblock was a Swiftech 5000. That would be circa 2002 I believe.

Look for them thideras (if you have the time). And thanks for the originals! I can imagine a bunch of guys from the team would enjoy the trip down memory lane. It really was a special time for me & maybe others, especially those of us overclocking Prescott CPUs (me still on socket 478!), and moving to the awesome new Core2Duo. I had a pair of x1800xt's running crossfire back then - before CrossfireX, which explains my avatars with the crossover cable. At one point I actually forgot the E6600 did not run at 3.6GHz base clock. Lol. Good times!!!

Hey JLK, the good ole days were indeed special times. I still have the final scores from the 2007 forum wars. Looked like we had similar rigs. This says you had X1900XT in crossfire not X1800XT like you said in the last post. I had a single 2900XT. We both had E6600 CPUs and Abit AW9D-Max motherboards. At default speed, you edged me out by less than 50 points (of course we were teamies, but we sure were a competitive bunch even among ourselves). The final scores had me squeaking ahead of you on 4 of the benchmarks and you pulled ahead of me on 4, so we were neck and neck.

Woo hoo, I found my avatars on a backup CD.

Attachments

• OCF benchmarking avatars.jpg
    OCF benchmarking avatars.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
this is my first wced rig. a koolance setup. i honestly cant remember what cpu etc i ran in it lol.

DSCF0005.JPG

this one was my c2d rig in a stacker i believe... i cant remember what i had in that thing either :bang head

DSCF0017.JPG

Back