• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well it looks like my new build will be on the 2011.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyMc

So I was on newegg yesterday and saw an "open box" Asus RIVE pop up for a pretty good price.
I couldn't resist so I snagged it. Looks like it was the only one too. I checked this morning and they're out of stock on the open box units.
Anyway... I'm pretty jazzed.
I've always had good luck with open box hardware from newegg so I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one too. I've heard horror stories of bent pins and what-not, but we'll see... I don't care if it has the accessories or not, but I do hope it comes with OC key and at least the IO shield.
I couldn't pass it up for the price.

How much was the open box deal?

Now to grab that $500 processor to make the socket worth it...!

Congrats on the purchase!

$296.00.
I was looking at the 3930k, but do you think I need that much CPU? It would be fun... :)
Also I'll be stuffing it in the HAF XB. I saw on another forum that the E-ATX will fit... Just barely.

Eatx will fit as I had a MIVE in the XB. :)

Well, if you only wanted a quad core, you could have gotten a new BANGIN motheboard for $100 less (or a lesser, but still plenty sufficient for $150 less) and a 3770K (same price as 3820) and be faster than what you will be now. Its go hex or go home (for me) on this plaform. Can't go wrong with it, just not my bag to go quad on that platform is all.

Eatx will fit as I had a MIVE in the XB. :)

Well, if you only wanted a quad core, you could have gotten a new BANGIN motheboard for $100 less (or a lesser, but still plenty sufficient for $150 less) and a 3770K (same price as 3820) and be faster than what you will be now. Its go hex or go home (for me) on this plaform. Can't go wrong with it, just not my bag to go quad on that platform is all.

Like dropping a 4 cylinder in a Ferarri?:p
I guess the 3930k would answer my "what CPU for FSX" question...:D

Absolutely! MOAR cores for FSX! Go big and enjoy that bad boy you bought! :)

Or if you just need a starter, in the FS threads is a low end quad. :)

Definitely the 3930k, especially for FSX!
No question in my mind at all. Going for a quad core on that socket seems awfully silly to me.

No reason not to grab a cheap quad from the classies if you need time to save for the 3930k, but I would definitely head towards the 3930k ASAP.

Well it showed up today.
Looking it over it looks like a retail unit. It's not open box though, it's a refurb. It says refurbished on the sticker.
Anyway. It looks good, no bent pins that I can see aaaaaaaaand it came with all accessories including the OC key. Only thing missing is the retail box.

Back