• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are your highest Radeon 8500 clock speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PowerStrip sucks, its full of icky ads. I use Rage3D tweak but it wont let me go too high (300mem and 325core)

Whats the point of all this massive cooling on the GPU? I thought Radeon 8500s ran cool.

PigGuy said:
PowerStrip sucks, its full of icky ads. I use Rage3D tweak but it wont let me go too high (300mem and 325core)

Whats the point of all this massive cooling on the GPU? I thought Radeon 8500s ran cool.

Ok this is rather complicated but here we go:

Components thermal sensitivity goes down when you overclock them, a normal 1.2Ghz CPU for example will run fine at 50C, however a 1Ghz CPU "overclocked" to 1.2Ghz will have errors, whilst at 45C it will run error free.

This is why even with the same voltage and settings people achieve such insane speeds with LN2. Because the CPU gets so much more sensitive to the heat, however the other extreme is if you go to cold (below -50C) it can produce tearing at this
temperature, where the inards of the CPU well tear...:eek:

The same applys to Vid Cards, you can overclock to a certain degree but by increasing the cooling that margin of an overclock can increase dramatically due to the instability/heat factors.
Voltage isn't always the key.

I hope this is clear enough and not too taxing to understand, if it is then I can simplify this for you.

Maximus Nickus

Back