• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you do with your computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Rgone asked me this the other day and I really had a hard time with this.
so first off what do we call a computer, I'll call a case, mother board and power supply a computer.
rig# 1 coolermaster half 942, chv-f, 7770 video card, ultra 1050 psu and ocz600 power supply.
I overclock with it under windows.

I design my own parts that i fab up for my race car.
I run my little race team with it, all under linux.
I do all my home money stuff with it under linux.
I take care of all my car shop stuff that pays for all this on it under linux.
Why do i have windows?????

rig#2 azza hurrican2000, sabertooth, ultra 550 power supply, 7770 video card.
grandsons gamming rig.
one of my testbeds.
music server because it is hooked to a 46" led tv for his moniter and also hooked to the sound system.
music server is under linux.
he games under windows.
(only reason to own windows.)
has home movies and pictures on it becasue of the tv and sound system.

Rig#3 coolermaster 331 elite nvidia, m5a97 2.0, ocz 600 power supply.
just picked up in a bundle so i can mess about with it.

rig# 4, hp dc770, motherboard?????, power supply???????
linux internet server, if it comes or goes it goes through it!!!!

thats the 4 that i use day in and day out here in my office, I have four more that i hook up once in a while, ALL LINUX!!

at the race shop,
4 of rig# 1, all linux.
6 custom asus quad core lap tops all linux.

car shop, one crappy E-machine (and it sucks).

so, what do you do with yours?

we see a lot more htpc's this year.

Last edited:
so, what do you do with yours?

Which one? I have downgraded the network though:) Replaced one HTPC with a PS3:rofl:

My main rig is for reading the news, writing reviews, and getting taken over by the wife!

2 HTPCs (living room and bedroom) with one acting as a media server.

2 testbeds; one for motherboards and the other is multi role - game rig for daughter, educational stuff for boys and ram, drive, video card, external component.

I guess I use my tablet PC the most. I hook it up to a 1080P display with KB mouse and external drives to work.

I have a spare net-book for testing/working on the road.

One tablet for wireless testing

Rig 1 in signature, play games, browse the internet, store pictures/music on and overclock.

Rig 2, I5-2500k @ 4.6, Asrock Ext 4, CM 212+, dual 7600gs cards, Quad 22" monitors, I use for my business.

Rig 3 My old cyberpower prebuilt, before I became wise. Athlon 64x2 4400, Asus A8N32sli Deluxe, 2 gig ram, Evga 450 gts, NZXT 500w psu, Apevia X Cruiser case in silver. Is now in the hands of my 9 yr old so he can play Battlefield Heroes with his dad, shhhh don't tell my wife. :)

Rig 4 my wife's laptop, so she will keep her paws off Rig 1.

EDIT: All Win 7 except Rig 3 it's a dual boot XP and Ubuntu.

Last edited:
so we all admit to more than one!!!!
linux, unix, windblows or what?

Rig 1: Play games, do homework, read forums, little bit of CAD.
Rig 2: Same thing minus the CAD, but it's my brothers.

Rig #1: Gaming, internet, HTPC, designing carpentry projects in 3D, anything else I want to with it.

Rig #2: A soon-to-be-built budget computer for the bodyshop I work at to just be able to send emails to insurance companies and look up parts online and stuff at work without me having to leave the shop when it needs to be done. Will probably have Linux unless I decide to buy a laptop soon, then I could just use that.

Nothing special... =/

that's what i use the E-machine for.
all my parts houses are online and it really saves the time hunting parts so I can spend more time working and making money, now if they can only train the thing to answer the phone!!!

that's what i use the E-machine for.
all my parts houses are online and it really saves the time hunting parts so I can spend more time working and making money, now if they can only train the thing to answer the phone!!!

We got past that years ago, they're doctors now. :thup:

Online Games: Diablo 3 and Hawken

HTPC (kinda): I will stream movies from my PC to my Xbox 360 to watch in the living room. The wife agrees that the next house I will be able to have my own theater room so i'm looking forward to that.

BOINC clients

Reading

Photoshop and Sony Vegas Pro

My wife's PC only does Word, Excel and browsing the intertubes. It's 8 years old and she still won't let me upgrade it.

Rig #1: Games, music, research, games, internet browsing, etc., games...
Rig #2: Older HP laptop my girlfriend uses almost exclusively for Facebook and recipies.
and it's not exactly a computer, but I use my HTC Galaxy Nexus for just about anything that isn't games.

Rig1: tz77xe4, NDA PSU, GTX580. Internet, games, write reviews, cure cancer.

Rig2(AM3+)/3(AM2+)/4(775)/5(462)/6(939)/7(SS7)/8(754): benching.

Rig9: ITX box for fiance.

Rig10: Fiance's old laptop, still used for DVDs.

Rig11: Netbook, used for netbooking.

#1 > Email, surf the web and edit graphics for posts to the forum.

#2 > Wife searches for TV reruns and viruses and trojans. Some Excel use. Beeg Monitor for older eyes so I often do posts to the forum from this #2 rig.

#3 > Just test rig and NOW video editting since I have FX-8350 in the CHV socket. Beeg water pump pushing 2 gals of water thru a D-tek water block.

#4 > Normally a Gateway laptop with HDMI out connected to TV to show our home Videos or Folders of digital pics of family at family gatherings.

#5 > A Win XP rig that I keep setup to help my 90 year old Father if his Win XP rig has a problem. I need to see what he sees and I am so used to Win 7; I forget how his XP machine looks.

There are a couple of other rigs that can fill in at any of those locations if the need arises. About it.
RGone...ster.

Main (sig) rig: everything. Games, internet, school work, curing cancer (that's what I tell myself. Nothing to do with having more ppd than my friend)

Old HP pavilion a705w: paper weight? Trying to decide if I want to spend the $20 it would take to get 1GB of DDR333 on eBay to upgrade from the measly 128MB in it now so I could actually use it for something.

HP laptop 1: taking to class, internet when I go anywhere my main rig is not present.

HP laptop 2: about to wipe it and put Linux on it to play around with. I really do want to learn Linux and this would be a good one since I don't really use it for much else.

I don't do anything with what you call a computer... no cpu = no thing gets done. :p

Being Serious...

1. (3570K/gtx680) - Main PC. Gaming, Interwebbing, some photo work, F@H
2. (3770K/7970) - Review/Benching PC. F@H, VM
3. (i3 3225) - HTPC - Just that
4. (Laptop) - Various web stuff

Last edited:
Rig #1 The one in my sig, Well mostly I just come on here & surf the internet & oc it
I play Sleeping Dogs, cause it came free with my GPU. It is probably way more then I need
Rig #2 My old rig HP a320n Athlon barton running 2.3ghz is now my kids
Rig #3 Toshiba laptop 8 gigs of ram, AMD duo core @ 2.3ghz "the wifes" so she stays off Rig #1

I use my computer for lots of stuff. My Primary rig(Green Gorilla) operates as a file server, media server, and a handful of other misc tasks on the network. I also use this machine as my primary work system programming in multiple IDEs, photoshop/premiere, as well as hosting a handful of VMs for both internal use and for multiplatform testing of my software. Last and certainly not least I use it to play games and surf the net.

Wifes rig gaming, document prep, and surfing the net.

Laptop #1 HP elitebook I use when I need to work away from home.
Laptop #2 Asus G51 wifes laptop, gaming, document prep, and web browsing.

Not much, the HTPC just runs XBMC. A Phenom II 955BE, 4gb RAM, just using integrated graphics.

My main (sig) rig is for games, browsing the net, etc..... I've a crappy old Core2Duo notebook downstairs running Linux that I use for surfing the web while watching telly. I think I've finally managed to kick my upgrade bug. I'm stuck on purchasing pro audio equipment now. Always something :(

Not much these days..

Some htpc dutys, convert music and movies for the phones and that's about it.. Since my son was born I haven't really had time for much else. I still buy games on steam but I don't game too often :D

I just bought the interface and subscriptions to reprogram the modules on customer cars at the car shop and now program all the fun stuff on the race car, fuel, ignition, boost control, dampers and when i get the hewland nlt in it i will be able to program the shift points and diff slippage.

Back