• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you do with your computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
#1 - The big dog is used for photo storage & editing, writing reviews, general home file server duties, video conversion from our DVDs to device-size for travel, browsing and paying bills.
#2 - The bench is used for testing hardware for reviews, writing reviews and gaming.
#3 - The HTPC is pretty self-explanatory.
#4 - The laptop is used for writing reviews, browsing, watching stuff online, etc.
#5 - The tablet (Nexus 7) is TBD and arriving today. Probably everything the laptop does except writing reviews.

My sig rig, unit 1, is the workhorse for me. I analyze work data, write reports and prepare presentations (which I'm doing more or less right now, only taking a break). F@H 24/7 when I'm not working or playing (have folding set to idle at the moment) as my heart is in it. Gaming, surfing the web, do all my finances on it. Analogue to digital music. Some photo stuff, some benching. As I'm typing I've got 2 spreadsheets open, one word doc, a live connection to three work servers and OCF. Dual boot WIn7 and Linux, soon to be triple boot with WinXP. Gotta love unit 1 ! :D

Unit 2 is the entertainment rig, an older 4200+ hooked up to the 42" LCD, Win7. My wife uses it for her surfing and socialization, photos, games, etc. Unit 2 backs up to itself and to Unit 1. Unit 1 backs up to itself and Unit 2. See a pattern here? She won't let me upgrade it only 'cause she thinks it's just fine like it is. Change scares her.

Unit 3 is a net book for the road, an MSI Atom. Really just for quickie communications on the road while at rest stops or hotel rooms, better than the Blackberry for the most part.

Unit 4 is not really a unit as such. It's a pile of parts that I scramble around for giggles. It's in the shop and is always semi-set up, semi-working, semi-taking up a large table. Linux.

I can now change every little thing i want in the race car computer, (pcm) it no longer has any "hang on" box. fuel curves per injector, timming curves per cyl. jounce and rebound damping, magnetic ride control is just awesome.

Rig #1 : Listed in signature

Rig #2 : Thermaltake Armor, Corsair CX430, Asus M2N-LR, AMD Athlon X2 6000+, 8GB ram, 10x 1.5TB hard drives (Centos 6.3 File server, and LAN party game servers.)

Rig #3 : Basic Thermaltake case, Seasonic 300Watt PSU, SUpermicro Atom D510 server ITX board, Areca ARC-1210 Raid controller, 4x500GB hard drives (iSCSI server for ESX hosts)

Rig #4&5 : iStarUSA 4U server case, Antec 520Watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-970-DS3, 16GB ram, Phenom 965, 32GB flash drive, (VMware ESXi hosts used in a 2 host cluster) I use this cluster for testing out products on the market that I could have the possibility of using in the real world.

Also have a Laptop which I do for every day web browsing and my finances, runs linux. Also 2 HTPCs both running windows and XBMC.

1 gamin / web browsing 2500k 6950
2 wifes pc (pretymuch never used cept when friends come over to play games c2d 9600gso
3 designated friend pc c2d @ 4ghz 4870
4 htpc c2d 5450
5 daughters pc c2d 7600gt?
6 laptop.. for when i dont want to go out to the mancave to get on the net. c2d 2gb ram

My 5 year old step daughter lol ahri will have one soon Prolly her first bday :D

I guess I didn't add number 7 my server dual quad xeons for storage / other stuff lol

P.s. my laptop fell off the couch today screen asploded :(

I can't read synthetic_fenix rig description, it's all in colors i don't see.

rig # 1 is the AMD Phenom II X6 - this is usually running at about 4.0Ghz - I have windows 8 on it and a second (mechanical) hard drive with windows 7. Lately I have been experimenting with FSB overclocking instead of multi adjustments. I've got 8GB corsair XMS 3 - but I can run it at 2000Mhz if I bump my timings up, still best I can get overall is running tight timings at 1600mhz.
This is an NZXT tower case. One 120mm fan in the front, and one 120mm behind the coolermaster 212. Cpu in x6 runs about 95 F @ idle, in X4 mode, will run about 83*F... Running a 23 inch Acer monitor and 20" dell. I use Ultramon for dual monitor management.

Second rig is the Core 2 quad - q9550 - at 3.4ghz with a simple FSB overclock. The memory is G.skill ripjaws 7-8-7-24, gets up to about 130F under torture testing. So far this has been my favorite case. Coolermaster sileo, well built and super quiet with sound cladding built in. Even though its an old LGA 775 it performs well with ddr3 and ssd. General purpose rig.

Gigabit network, running a DNS-323 network attached storage device. Two 500GB hard drives in mirror, hosting all my games and data, plus 10 years worth of pictures.

#1, main rig : Gaming, web, music and lots of "time consuming stuf" ;)

#2, HTPC : Movies, music, web, streaming, and some light games.

#3, NAS : Incoming FreeNAS build. Will hold all my data, safety, backup and stuff.

Edit : Forgot my Tablet, Asus TF101-32gb : Web, small games, reading and more.

Last edited:
Main - General use, gaming
HTPC - XBMC on ubuntu for the TV
NAS - to store stuff (openfiler)
Ultrabook - On some occasions I travel for work, and I can still play some modern games at med/low settings, and also play with some VMs (Windows 8/Mageia 2)
Rig #2 - 2500+, nForce 4 Ultra board, 1GB RAM - pfSense box (router/firewall)

Future rigs / rigs not currently in commission
-Another rig for gaming
-A rig for malware analysis/reverse engineering
-1U server, dual L5320s, 8GB RAM - VMs, etc (AD, DNS, etc)
-3U server, dual L5520s, 48GB RAM - iSCSI targets, more VMs, etc
-Migrate the HTPC to mATX setup
-Another NAS to mirror for backups

Rig in my sig used for gaming, music, vids, mainly being secluded from the other half. : )

Back