• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you feel is better? 1 Stick or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tipycol said:
Oh...ok...Still, would be nice of them to do it ;)
Will Dual DDR need a new type of ram then?

Thanks

Tipycol

Dual Channel DDR (DCDDR)will use the same DDR as we have now and will only be around for about 1 year, then DDR-II should be around (Q4 2003/Q1 2004).

DCDDR is a gateway/transition product filling the gap till DDR-II comes, it will be like how 486's useds SIMM's and Pentiums used SIMM's in pairs before we moved to SDRAM.

And SIS just relesaed a DCDDR chipset (655)...
Intel should release thier DCDDR chipset Granite Bay any day now...
and both will work with your current RAM (2 sticks must be the same size, just like SIMM's)

jay said:

Dual Channel DDR (DCDDR)will use the same DDR as we have now and will only be around for about 1 year, then DDR-II should be around (Q4 2003/Q1 2004).

DCDDR is a gateway/transition product filling the gap till DDR-II comes, it will be like how 486's useds SIMM's and Pentiums used SIMM's in pairs before we moved to SDRAM.

And SIS just relesaed a DCDDR chipset (655)...
Intel should release thier DCDDR chipset Granite Bay any day now...
and both will work with your current RAM (2 sticks must be the same size, just like SIMM's)

Oh, so DDRII will require new ram then?

Tipycol said:
Oh, so DDRII will require new ram then?

Correct, its 1.8V, will run at 400 (200x2)MHz @ 3.2GB/s
(thats why DDR 400 will most likely never be made standard)
533(266x2)Mhz @ 4.3GB/s
and 667 (333x2) @ 5.GB/s

Bandwidth= Bus width (64bits) x Mhz x2 (as it is double pumped) / 8 (bits per byte)

One stick for me. I agree with the redundancy talk though it's pretty rare to have RAM die on you. RAM failure seems to occur right from the beginning or while trying to OC it. If it survives that, then you're gonna be ok.

BTW, I have two 256 meg sticks in my safe that I guess I could use if there ever was a problem with the stuff I'm using now.

Cheers

Back