• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you feel is better? 1 Stick or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 is always better then 1
grouphug.gif

O wait u meant ram ;)
if u got the exact same ram brand and speed, i dont think u will see a difference, and if u do it will only be noticed by a benchmark. I dont see anything wrong with 2x256
now if u doing something like 64, 128, 256, 512 sticks, then ur kinda nuts. get rid of the 64, and 128 and just keep the 256,and 512. something in that nature is fine i suppose.

AZN

Don't you usually have to set less agressive timings with more sticks? (I've never had two matching sticks in a computer at once, so I don't know for sure...)

3 sticks of Micron PC2100 - 150mhz
2 sticks of Micron PC2100 - 160mhz

I didnt test with 1 stick because im probly too lazy but i would probly get 166 stable running prime for 12-24 hours. I'd get 2 sticks of 256mb if they wouldnt be as much as 1 stick.

Two sticks for me, as my mobo will only take 256mb per slot, and a maximum of 512mb total. With Windows XP you want more than 256mb to run optimal. But a lot of guys claim a higher OC with 1 stick of good ram.

I would have to agree that one stick overclocks better then two. Most ddr400 MB will only support 1 stick of pc3200 and it's unofficially supported to boot. But I go with 2 stick for reduncy.

One stick. Theoretical problems with bank timing aside, there are also quite a few recent reports of the highest rated DDR memory not being guaranteed to run at that speed when more than 1 is used. I consider that to be very indicative.

hduong said:
I would have to agree that one stick overclocks better then two. Most ddr400 MB will only support 1 stick of pc3200 and it's unofficially supported to boot. But I go with 2 stick for reduncy.

What do you mean it's unofficially supported?

Tipycol said:

What do you mean it's unofficially supported?

DDR400 is not an officially approved specification. JEDEC has not set standards for this speed grade. Accordingly, mainboard makes do not guarantee the DDR400 setting will actually work, but leave the option in to let the user have the chance to try it out.

FIZZ3 said:

DDR400 is not an officially approved specification. JEDEC has not set standards for this speed grade. Accordingly, mainboard makes do not guarantee the DDR400 setting will actually work, but leave the option in to let the user have the chance to try it out.

But when JEDEC approves it, will there be a performance increase? Or the only difference will be the motherboard makers will have a standard blueprint on PC3200 for their boards?

Tipycol said:

But when JEDEC approves it, will there be a performance increase? Or the only difference will be the motherboard makers will have a standard blueprint on PC3200 for their boards?

Yeah, that's my stand on JEDEC. They may pick the best design and make that standard, which will improve compatibility, but there are very few problems now. JEDEC is useful for helping manufacturers keep things compatible, but it doesn't influence my purchases. (Unless there are widespread compatibility issues.)

Caffinehog said:

Yeah, that's my stand on JEDEC. They may pick the best design and make that standard, which will improve compatibility, but there are very few problems now. JEDEC is useful for helping manufacturers keep things compatible, but it doesn't influence my purchases. (Unless there are widespread compatibility issues.)

Oh ok. I was just wondering why some people considered it overclocked ram and why JEDEC is so important them.

Thanks

Tipycol

Caffinehog said:
but it doesn't influence my purchases. (Unless there are widespread compatibility issues.)

And you dont call the current situation of only 1 stick of DDR 400 working in a MB a compatibility issue?
Or just a problem with NOT having STANDARDS???

Thier is more to RAM that just the MHz it can run at, just rember that when you buy *cough* DDR 400 *cough*

Tipycol said:

No if a standard is specified that existed unoffically, there is no direct performance increase. It may lead to more stable running (more compatible) modules, and it may allow manufacturers to produce ram at that given speed with reduced latency better than what was possible before, but these are spinn-off benefits.

Also note that DDR-1 400 is likely to never be approved by JEDEC.

SlowBurn said:
1 Stick, better chance to reach higher speeds in OCing.

I would agree. I have my OCZ PC3000 512Mb stick at 2-2-2-5 and it worked great. When I added a 2nd OCZ PC3000 512Mb stick, my system became unstable. When I set the settings back to default (2.5-3-3-6) / no turbo, my system was stable again.

Tipycol said:
How come?

DDR is hiitting its upper limits of what it can do...
and with DDR II just around the corner, no use trying to get blood from a stone

jay said:

DDR is hiitting its upper limits of what it can do...
and with DDR II just around the corner, no use trying to get blood from a stone

Oh...ok...Still, would be nice of them to do it ;)
Will Dual DDR need a new type of ram then?

Thanks

Tipycol

one 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

2 sticks bites...buy 1 512 it may even be cheaper than 2 256

Back