• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what happens if you tell pc4000 memory to run over 250 MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Can memory be overclocked past spec? If I am running 1:1, what would happen if I tell my pc4000 mem to run at 251 fsb? Thanks for the help.

well, many things can happen. to answer your first question, yes memory can be overclocked past spec. Depending on your chips, ie bh-5, bh-6, etc which can be found by looking at the chips on the memory you can get many different overclocks. For example I was able to achieve 178 on my pc2700. If you tell your memory to run faster than 250, the system may not boot, then which you would add more voltage via the vdimm. Too much voltage or too much speed may cause the memory to fry. I know what I said may sound like I am treating you like a noob, but that's what I know.

No I am a noob! this is my first post in the memory section. Thanks for explaining it. The chips are covered by the heat spreaders so I can't tell any info about them, I guess I will try going 1 or 2 more and see what happens. Mem is at 2.8 right now.

you ram should be fine at the default voltage tp go up a few mhz.
its just like ocing a cpu,it will go past what its designed to do if coaxed correctly :)

just keep running memtest at each step or prime 95 to make sure its stable at that.the best way to oc is use the isolation method as thats what i call it.its gonna be hard for you as your kinda inexperianced and while ocing ram 1:1 your also ocing the cpu more also at the same time.
that method to me is to get all other factors out of the way and push that 1 single component to its max then once you know it you will know if and when something will give out.
but since this is an intel rig you will need a good idea of what the cpu is doing also at the same tim e the memory is being oced.
just add voltage slow and test each step is best advice i can give you.and above all watch the cpu temps.

haha. yes i like my ram too. thanks for the advice guys. I was running at 2.8 volts DDR and 1.625 CPU at 250 fsb 1:1. Then I bumped up my DDR to 2.9, this allowed me to drop the CPU to 1.6. At 2.9, 1.6 I tried to run at 254 1:1, computer just locked up while booting. At 251 1:1 it booted and ran in windows at full load for a few hours and then locked up. I'll try 251 1:1 with 1.625 CPU and see what happens.

Back