• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What has become of AMD (and this section)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But nowadays I've pretty much lost all my faith in AMD. It's like they've lost that "special something" they used to have,

I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly.

I've only owned (with the exception of my laptop) TWO intel CPUs, and one of those was a 486. All the rest were AMDs. Including the slot a athlon (1ghz), and a Thunderbird. (1.8ghz, which I took up to 2.2... which was impressive for the time.)

Same thing happened to them that happened to McDonald's and Disney: They lost the magic that made them popular in the first place. I was really excited about each and every Athlon I owned... and proud of them for doing so extremely well against Intel.

Then the 64-bit error came around and I didn't know what the hell was going on anymore. (I had kinda lost touch with current tech for a month or something and everything went to ****). They had Socket A style CPUs, but then they also had two new sockets at the same time, and I didn't know WHAT the hell was going on, or if I picked what motherboard what would become outdated? (Thankfully the Core2Duo came out around the time I was finally able to upgrade and solved that problem.)

I was really expecting a more timely response to Intel's offerings, but I guess I didn't understand how destabilized the company had become by then.

Now... like McDonald's... and like Disney...

They're just going to milk the AMD name for all it's worth.

And they'll get the die hards... they'll get the guy who just runs into the computer store and grabs the first thing he sees...

...but they'll never get me again.

Back when I started ocing 5 years ago, the situation was somewhat similar to this, but not quite this bad. Intel had a definite lead over AMD with the HT-enabled Northwoods which oc'ed insanely on very stable and smooth platforms.

A high end AMD rig could be had, but with both clocked to the max, the P4's would win by a little bit. Nonetheless, the majority of most enthusiast sites like this used AMD systems.

Why was that? Well...I bought my AthlonXP 1700+ for $59.99 in 2003. It made it from 1.47GHz stock to 2.5GHz on watercooling. The cheapest Intel alternative was a 2.4C, for about $170. The Intel boards were also about $100 pricier. So I'd save about $200 but lose a little bit of performance.

Huge savings, slight performance hit. The bang for buck choice was obvious.

Now, we have AMD's absolute fastest products getting completely crushed by Intel's slowest. And yet, for some reason, they are still pricey as hell.

Even a Phenom 9550 will run you ~$160. Who in their right mind would buy that when you can easily pick up a Q6600 for about 10 bucks more which will completely walk all over it, both in clock for clock performance and raw clocks??

Offer me a Phenom for the $59.99 I spent on my AXP and you got me sold. I'm sure many others would quickly jump to AMD if they had their products priced as agressively as they used to be in the past. The cheap pricing is truly what made them popular, probably more so than their past performance crowns.

Back when I started ocing 5 years ago, the situation was somewhat similar to this, but not quite this bad. Intel had a definite lead over AMD with the HT-enabled Northwoods which oc'ed insanely on very stable and smooth platforms.

A high end AMD rig could be had, but with both clocked to the max, the P4's would win by a little bit. Nonetheless, the majority of most enthusiast sites like this used AMD systems.

Why was that? Well...I bought my AthlonXP 1700+ for $59.99 in 2003. It made it from 1.47GHz stock to 2.5GHz on watercooling. The cheapest Intel alternative was a 2.4C, for about $170. The Intel boards were also about $100 pricier. So I'd save about $200 but lose a little bit of performance.

Now, we have AMD's absolute fastest products getting completely crushed by Intel's slowest. And yet, for some reason, they are still pricey as hell.

Even a Phenom 9550 will run you ~$160. Who in their right mind would buy that when you can easily pick up a Q6600 for about 10 bucks more which will completely walk all over it, both in clock for clock performance and raw clocks??

Offer me a Phenom for the $59.99 I spent on my AXP and you got me sold. I'm sure many others would quickly jump to AMD if they had their products priced as agressively as they used to be in the past. The cheap pricing is truly what made them popular, probably more so than their past performance crowns.

That's certainly why I bought MY athlons...

Sad for AMD. Only fools buy AMD these days. Bad marketing, bad processor, low performance, terrible motherboard options, AMD fail their exam. Consumer give them zero. Before AMD very fast, smash Pentium4. Now, AMD looks best on keychains. Lucky that ATI is doing excellent.

I love statements like this tis the reason I no longer contribute to our amd section.:bang head

I love statements like this tis the reason I no longer contribute to our amd section.:bang head

What is wrong? Isn't that the truth? So Guntam says same thing and it is o.k? I owned many AMD systems before. Very nice. Current performance goes to Intel. AMD too expensive for low performance. Why are you crying about my statements? I can bash you up if you wish? Soak out all the tears? :)

Consumer no give them zero. Consumer no know most what maker brand their CPU is. Consumer care less could if CPU from Intel or AMD. Can type I in complete sentences with also.

lol

and watcher your statement had 2-3 things right out of 11 thats pretty bad. not even 25 % of your statement was right

I don't cry over spilt milk although you might.

and gautum knows his facts unlike you apparently

Last edited:
What is wrong? Isn't that the truth? So Guntam says same thing and it is o.k? I owned many AMD systems before. Very nice. Current performance goes to Intel. AMD too expensive for low performance. Why are you crying about my statements? I can bash you up if you wish? Soak out all the tears? :)

lol

and watcher your statement had 2-3 things right out of 11 thats pretty bad. not even 25 % of your statement was right

I don't cry over spilt milk although you might.

and gautum knows his facts unlike you apparently

@watcher.

Dude,

You have a Whopping 50 posts so far.
You're a brand new member here & I have already given you a 3 day Ban for being Stupid.

You may want to reconcider about what you post in these Forums as far as Quality goes.

Maybe increase you knowledge a bit more before posting.

Listen to the Seniors here, they've been around a hellva lot longer and have a hellva lot of info behind them.

They are VERY respected around here. If one of them tells you something, it's not because "they hate you"....

-They are trying to help you learn something.

You need to take heed here and LISTEN.

WII

@Watcher.

Dude,

You have a Whopping 50 posts so far.
You're a brand new member here & I have already given you a 3 day Ban for being Stupid.

You may want to reconcider about what you post in these Forums as far as Quality goes.

Maybe increase you knowledge a bit more before posting.

Listen to the Seniors here, they've been around a hellva lot longer and have a hellva lot of info behind them.

They are VERY respected around here. If one of them tells you something, it's not because "they hate you"....

-They are trying to help you learn something.

You need to take heed here and LISTEN.

WII

On top of receiving a 3 day ban he still posts like this? And on top of that to a senior member?

I am quite disappointed.

Gentleman, I've seen too many AMD vs INTEL threads locked. If this doesn't end up locked, don't be the reason for it!!

Watcher, PM coming your way.

Last edited:
Funny... could've sworn this was a PRO amd thread this morning...

...then again I did take that nap.

I still had the original BOX to my athlon... along with the stickers, heatsink, and manual up until the time I sold it to get my E6400.

That's how into it I was. (Well... not really... I NEVER throw away any boxes or manuals. Anything I ever sold in the classifieds came with everything that came with it the day I got it.)

My English is not good becuase I do not speak fluent. Converting between languages is hard, but I try with my friends help. Many people here suggest Intel is better, but forum managers say Watcher causes trouble. Why?

The first thread says AMD section is not active and AMD is not competing in performance. I say the same thing. I even say my past AMD experience is highly positive. Still Watcher is wrong and everybody is correct. So you make fun of my bad English, yet forum managers critisize Watcher and everybody is o.k? I try to make a small joke and Forum Managers bans me? Very welcoming forum you have here.

I cannot remove my statement. AMD= bad performance...almost useless for today's money.

I sold my Phenom in the board and used the box to sell a Q6600 :p Would be nice to laugh at Intel again (like with Athlon XP/64), but with Yorkfield and Nehalem out, and no news of any really new AMD stuff, it doesn't seem likely to happen.

By passing the swear filter / going around the rules is not a joke.

It can get this Forum closed for ever.

You are new here. I understand. I ask you to learn first, then post.

Understand the people around you here, then joke.

I am sure you have good information to share too.

My English is not good becuase I do not speak fluent. Converting between languages is hard, but I try with my friends help. Many people here suggest Intel is better, but forum managers say Watcher causes trouble. Why?

The first thread says AMD section is not active and AMD is not competing in performance. I say the same thing. I even say my past AMD experience is highly positive. Still Watcher is wrong and everybody is correct. So you make fun of my bad English, yet forum managers critisize Watcher and everybody is o.k? I try to make a small joke and Forum Managers bans me? Very welcoming forum you have here.

I cannot remove my statement. AMD= bad performance...almost useless for today's money.

For the most part this is a friendly forum, to both old and new users alike. I do agree with you on one point though, one forum user making fun of another forum user's grammar is flame baiting (in my opinion) and there is no place for it here. Same thing with one user threatening another, there is no place for it, even if the intention is light-hearted. Everyone needs to stay civil or not post. :)

Most threads about this topic usually end up locked because people are usually incapable of having a civilized conversation about the two companies and their products without it resorting to a heated argument, sadly.

My opinion on the current situation: I like AMD, but I get more "bang for my buck" with intel. If I were to buy another quad I'd probably buy a Phenom because my geeky side likes the architecture and it has been a while since I've played with an A64, I kind of miss it.

Yup, I think a Phenom price drop must be underway real soon. But like you said, give me one for $60 bucks, and I'm sold.

dan

I beg to differ. [although most of the people on these forums buy high end stuff]

AMD's lower price range setups have a lot of competitive kick to them.
Cheap amd dualie + 780g chipset = godly cheap/small pc
what can you get for the same money?
maybe an e2xxx at most with a chunky graphics card.

The computer industry is fueled by normal consumers, not enthusiasts. we make up only a small market where the companies make more per person but less total sold.
In the days were athlon64 was amazing, i don't recall many people buying them in the retail channel or anything.
Even in the days of cheap right now where a simple cheap dualie + 780g would present a pretty good build for even the slightly casual gamer/vista aero user, dell doesn't sell anything amd to my collection. whats up with that?

I know some family friends who lost faith in "amd" cuz they think its some crap brand because dell put 128mb of ram in. If there was a minimum standard of performance out in the general market, a standard set of capabilities and a muchos better marketing powerhouse from amd, i'm pretty sure their stocks would probably be a bit higher. Too bad AMD Game never caught on.

Hopefully if AMD doesn't die before i graduate in business, i will work in their marketing section and put up a fight. cuz we all know their marketing could use some help. At least they made the right step with the 780g platform :)

My wallet has only had loyalty to performance. Plain and simple.

I have owned two AMD systems, but have had nothing but Conroe systems since my old FX60. I really dont understand why people get so bothered and heated up in discussions like this. You often hear the word "fanboys" thrown around, which just makes 0 sense to me. I would think all of us OC'ers are looking for the best performance and/or bang for the buck. Who gives a crap what the sticker says on the box and the stamp on the IHS?

I cut my teeth on AMD systems, they are why I'm an OCF member in fact. Back then I swore I'd never run an Intel system along with many others. Intel got caught napping when A64 released, it didn't take long for their superior R&D and overall business model to make it painfully obvious who had the upper hand. One of the biggest mistakes AMD made was in pricing, during their run and even recently where it could have been a small salvation from the lack of competitive products. It is sad to see really, I have been anticipating running another AMD system, it just doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Back