• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What has become of AMD (and this section)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I cut my teeth on AMD systems, they are why I'm an OCF member in fact.

I may be able to say the same as far as AMD being the reason of being on OCF. The first forum I became a member of was EOCF, which is also a great source, but when I joined OCF I got so much help I couldn't even tell ya... one of the guys I owe it mostly to would be Sentential03. As far as OCing at all, it's all b/c of the Athlon XP.

For that reason, I will never FULLY steer clear from AMD, but right now I've been using INTEL for future builds. I do have an X2 AM2 system for my gf that she LOVES... it's a brisbane @ 3ghz on air and in all honesty is GREAT for a day to day use machine. I also have a brisbane as a file-server at my parent's place.

They're not done yet. They're just not the 1st choice to think of at this day and age.

I haven't lost hope, though! :)

Maybe if they drop prices (which I've seen here and there) and sell off some stuff to gain some revenue, maybe they can get another jump start. As far as AMD-ATI... I'm happy that's going well. It may be the sole reason AMD can stay in business financially as far as CPU manufacturing/engineering.

Maybe if they drop prices (which I've seen here and there) and sell off some stuff to gain some revenue, maybe they can get another jump start. As far as AMD-ATI... I'm happy that's going well. It may be the sole reason AMD can stay in business financially as far as CPU manufacturing/engineering.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080825/amd_broadcom.html?.v=4

SUNNYVALE, Calif. (AP) -- Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will sell its unit that makes chips for digital TV sets to fellow chip maker Broadcom Corp. for $192.8 million in cash, the companies announced Monday.

The psychic mod!!

By passing the swear filter / going around the rules is not a joke.

It can get this Forum closed for ever.

You are new here. I understand. I ask you to learn first, then post.

Understand the people around you here, then joke.

I am sure you have good information to share too.

JESUS! You got a softer shade of green maybe? I had the gamma and brightness cranked up for this dark-*** Baldur's Gate game I was playing...

...then you had to go all BRUCE BANNER on us. :)

EDIT: Oh I see... It's some kind of mod thing. I thought it was just your new style. :)

On top of receiving a 3 day ban he still posts like this? And on top of that to a senior member?

I am quite disappointed.

Gentleman, I've seen too many AMD vs INTEL threads locked. If this doesn't end up locked, don't be the reason for it!!

Watcher, PM coming your way.

Lol, too many fanboys..... To passionate about their companies. I'm loyal to neither. My old posts were pro AMD when they had a price/performance advantage. Asthings stand an overclocked Pentium E5200 with thrash AMD's fastest. I've gone from pro AMD to pro Intel. If they become good value again compared to Intel 'll switch camps once more.

Its a bit like politics I guess. In politics I guess I'd be a swing voter :beer:

JESUS! You got a softer shade of green maybe? I had the gamma and brightness cranked up for this dark-*** Baldur's Gate game I was playing...

EDIT: Oh I see... It's some kind of mod thing. I thought it was just your new style. :)

Hehe, can you make it bright red instead :p

AMD just goes around with the attitude "Yeah, we only sell average stuff - if you want something special, go with the competition".
To claim more would be marketing fluff. I'll give AMD credit for not being the king of BS, like Intel was during the P4 days. "Dude, you're getting a....with an Intel Pentium 4 processor!!!!"

This coming from someone who previously was 100% AMD and who now is 100% Intel. I follow best performance for the money. At high end, right now, it's an easy choice. Frankly, high performance by default is Intel. For me, there really is no decision to make until AMD is a serious competitor again. I hope that happens.

Hehe, can you make it bright red instead :p

Hell with THAT!

I seriously had the color and brightness maxxed out and I almost went BLIND when I saw that post.

...guess I shouldn't sit so close to the TV. :p

I prefer AMD, I've built 2 systems and a 3rd on the way in the last few months. I find it very easy to choose AMD just for the fact you can get a decent Mobo and CPU for under $150. Every time I try to build a Intel system I run out of money since I would be forced into buying a more expensive MOBO to get out of the box compatibility.

I post up what I find about what I buy.

There was an editorial on the OC site awhile back where Ed (I think it was Ed, if it wasn't I'm sorry) poised the question that if AMD processors were just as fast as Intel processors pound for pound, would you be willing to pay the same price as you do for the Intel Processor to AMD. Personally I would, I prefer AMD, have since my very fisrt Duron 1ghz chip. Thankfully now days games are more dependent on graphics cards than processors.

But at the moment, if I needed a new system I wouldn't by a Phenom at these prices. It just doesn't make smart sence. But Intel in complete control like they are at the moment doesn't quite sit well with me either. Their motherboard system where every chip seems to need a different board and different setup of memory (tri-channel DDR3? That's gotta hurt the pocket a bit) and doesn't leave me to feel that getting a good MB will end with me being able to use it for the next 2 or 3 processors like AMD has.

You get what you pay for? They have to be priced cheap because they dont perform anywhere near as good as the Intel counterparts. The only way they will move any underperforming chips is to price them lower.

It's kind of like saying I buy Ford because you cant get any BMWs under $20k.

Rainless, I've told you time and time again that you should not take your sunglasses off when on the forums!! :D

Yes, it's his mod-style. I'm trying to make my own so that I can be unique... but I want to be cool like the other mods, so it's a give and take. :)

I still like my amd rig over my other 2 intel systems atm so I guess I just haven't fully engaged yet.

Elaborate please. Why do you like it better than your Intel Quads?

Also I'd like to point out a little discussed fact about Intel and AMD architectures. Intel has superior INTEGER performance. Most standard programs are integer intensive instead of floating point intensive. AMD chose to make a CPU that focused more on the server/workstation floating point needs. AMD's FLOATING POINT performance is pretty damn good but that doesn't translate to high frame rates in your games or high score in a standard review site's benchmark suite. Intel's Nehalem was made to be a floating point monster too, just like K10. This is why it doesn't blow away their own current CPUs in gaming. Apparently Intel knows something we don't about the path software will take in the future. AMD hopped on the FP bandwagon a little early but their Opterons excelled at the workloads they were designed for didn't they? Intel's high integer performance Core arch. handled what they were designed for too. So yes, in home use software the Core arch. is faster due to it's integer performance. K10 was just unfortunately made for software types the home user doesn't regularly use but this doesn't make it a failure or a bad architecture. In fact it was such a good architecture Intel took it one step further and improved upon it with Nehalem. That's why I like Core i7 so damn much. It's like a Phenom-II LOL!

Last edited:
Hey, I preferred being pro AMD. Gives that warm fuzzy feeling to support the underdog..... On the other hand, my wallet is more important to me than that feeling so value is paramount to my purchasing decisions.....

I still like AMD better, and I really believe that this has nothing to do with them being AMD but rather their underdog status.....

Kudos to you guys. I am new to your forum, but not that new to OCing. I have been OCing for @18 months now and learned on another forum (where I am a senior member now). I have read countless threads like this and not one was as civil and honest as this one. I am truely impressed!

I didn't know squat when I started and have LOTs to learn yet. As far as being loyal to AMD, I am (3 amd rigs and my laptop intel), however my next rig will be Intel. The reason is to Learn and have fun. As a diesel mechanic with over 30 yrs experience, I didn't just learn Detroit Diesel engines, I learned as many different engines (not to talk about the rest of the trucks) as I could. Knowledge is power, and one way to share knowledge is open and frank communication. I think I am going to like it here on this forum.

TomL

Kudos to you guys. I am new to your forum, but not that new to OCing. I have been OCing for @18 months now and learned on another forum (where I am a senior member now). I have read countless threads like this and not one was as civil and honest as this one. I am truely impressed!

I didn't know squat when I started and have LOTs to learn yet. As far as being loyal to AMD, I am (3 amd rigs and my laptop intel), however my next rig will be Intel. The reason is to Learn and have fun. As a diesel mechanic with over 30 yrs experience, I didn't just learn Detroit Diesel engines, I learned as many different engines (not to talk about the rest of the trucks) as I could. Knowledge is power, and one way to share knowledge is open and frank communication. I think I am going to like it here on this forum.

TomL

Welcome to OCF TomL! We're pleased to have you here (well I am at least).

Good gadzooks, I've never seen that many blue and green people in a post ever. You know it's serious when they fly Warrior in to battle :D

AMD has not become anything. What AMD has done is advanced it's architecture to some great CPUs for servers and the masses. Soon we should see the 45nm goodness and start looking to the next move to High K. Now who can hook me up with 4 Shanghais?

I think AMD just made it hard for some to choose AMD as their next CPU. I'd originally set my sights on a high end AMD CPU, but I decided to bite the bullet and go with an e8400 since phenoms consumed more and didn't run games as well. Hopefully AMD'll come out with something great next year. :beer:
Their videocards are nice, though.

I beg to differ. [although most of the people on these forums buy high end stuff]

AMD's lower price range setups have a lot of competitive kick to them.
Cheap amd dualie + 780g chipset = godly cheap/small pc
what can you get for the same money?
maybe an e2xxx at most with a chunky graphics card.

I don't know maybe that's the impression we used to have. But I've just checked out prices, and AMD's cheapest dual core (here in Switzerland), the 4050e x2 (2.1 Ghz), will cost you around $5 less than a E2180 (2 Ghz), and the cheapest 780G mobo costs around $10 than a solid P35 one. Although I believe the 780g has integrated graphics - the Intel setup would completely smoke it in every other aspect.

For more bang for buck you'd have to step down to the single core semprons.

dan

Gabkicks, is that \Randy Couture as your avatar? I can't believe Fedor is not fighting him and fighting Arlofski instead. I like Arlofski, but he's got somethin' comin to him.

On topic, I agree with the budget selection with AMD. I've built systems for very cheap with them, but that was about 6 months ago. Right now the E2000 series chips and mediocore P35 boards are getting into AMD's price range... since INTEL came out with the 45nm tech and going onto much better stuff, the 65nm stuff has dropped to greatly challenge AMD.

I'll always stick it out with the brand that gets me more for my dollar. When it came down to that, it was usually AMD for the lower end dollar/performance ratio, and INTEL for the higher... but now INTEL seems to be competing greatly even with the lower end chips. Let's not forget the E1200 celeron that is also a dual core!! =/

Back