• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of cooling do you use poll (2009)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is your primary method of cooling your main system?

• Air cooling

Votes: 315 76.3%
  • Water cooling

Votes: 93 22.5%
  • Other cooling (please explain below)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my last three machines over the past 4 years under water. Started with a Storm G4, MCP600, and Thermochill HE120.3 + 3 120x38mm Panaflo U1B's. I upgraded to an MCP655 about two years ago.

For my new i7 system I upgraded the block to an Apogee GTZ and the fans to 120x38mm Scythe Ultra Kaze-3000's. I will eventually (summerish) be replacing the case with an as-yet-to-be-determined case (possibly the Mountain Mods Pinnacle-24) and the radiator with either a TFC Quad or Triple 120 radiator (depending on the case).

Haven't moved my GPU over to water yet, but I do plan on doing that at some point in the future. I'm sure you guys know how that goes!

Hi EVERYONE, Ive been meaning to join this forum for over a year but never had the chance as ive been so busy...Anyway im finally here & id just like to say HI, The cooling system ive got is the H2C from Dell, its come as fitted on a XPS 720 H2C..What are these like as apposed to other cooling systems..?
Thankx..
Keith (UK)

I just don't see the point to go WC yet :/

You can get a top of the line heatsink that will allow plenty of overclocking for a fraction of WC methods. I suppose cost is a driving force for anything computer related....

When you WC, you still use fans....and that water itself is cooled by a fan (radiator)...so ehh? If I was rich - suppose I'd use Nitrogen.

To air cool or water cool that is the question?

I have 14x running air and 2 running water. Depending on your enviroment water cooling may be a big plus in a hot enviroment. But if your farm runs in a basement or cool enviroment that you dont care your GPU fans are screaming air is cheap. I could provide 10k PPD more if I didn't do the water on those two rigs. But it was fun to play with. Just my two cents

The best way to keep your computer cool is not to turn it on. :D

Seriously, I turn my rig on and off a half dozen times a day, but it stays a lot cooler than running all the time, not to mention the savings in electricity.

Lastly, I use air, but I'm working on a beer cooler right now. :beer:

R7

All of my computers have learned to swim at a very early age. *sniff* I'm so proud of them.

Water all the way and all the time for me, unless a customer requests otherwise.

The best way to keep your computer cool is not to turn it on. :D

Seriously, I turn my rig on and off a half dozen times a day, but it stays a lot cooler than running all the time, not to mention the savings in electricity.

Lastly, I use air, but I'm working on a beer cooler right now. :beer:

R7

Sadly, it doesn't work too well when it's off. Apps take a REALLY long time to load... :beer:

air only because water cooling seems to complicated and knowing my luck the water will leak out and short out my system

I've used water cooling for almost as long as I've been building my own PC's (about 10 years). I just can't go back to air cooling, after discovering the benefits of water cooling. Just recently finished an internal setup in my P182 click here

See sig, water. My GPU used to be under as well, but Im too lay to order another block and redo my loop for the 260. Maybe after I get the 55nm I will get a full cover block and see what she can do as I do not plan on upgrading this PC until 2010.

Air for now.

A lot easier to set up, and I'm still attending college. I really don't feel like draining the whole system to move the computer, at the beginning and end of every semester.

To call air cooling a "joke" is pretty short-sighted. Different people have different needs and different situations that they deal with.

I have always used air, i was unsure about water back when i did my last build. Now i am in the process of a new build and i went with air for the cost, but i would like to go to water at some point. I bought an antec 1200 case so from what i've heard here i will have no heat problems with that case.

Noctua 120mm CPU cooler

Crude, ugly, but what a fan. For a middle level price, this fan is the best I have seen, not very pleasant to look at, but keeping my Q9650 at 24c idle stock. Quite and pretty big, but I was going with the V8, glad I didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back