• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of cooling do you use poll (2009)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is your primary method of cooling your main system?

• Air cooling

Votes: 315 76.3%
  • Water cooling

Votes: 93 22.5%
  • Other cooling (please explain below)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRUE120 with dual fans, one exhaust fan at the back behind the TRUE, HR-03 on my 8800GTX with a 92mm fan, two 120mm intake fans on the side of the case, 3 120mm intake at the front :D

Lapped TRUE in main rig. Next rig (Sandy Bridge) will be water for sure. Starting to play around with DICE.

Air cooling is my main means, but my i7 rig, water is pretty much bottom of the line. Ran air for a about a week brefore I upgraded it. MUCH better now with load temps in the low 60s at 4.6 ish HTT. 4400 I can run blend at 45C :)

I'm using the stock cooler on my cpu...

No money for water cooling plus that my pc sucks i will migrate to water cooling after i upgrade it.

well, im currently on stock air. the reason that this works for me is that i have a homemade bench, and im using a nice and quiet window fan as part of my setup. i also have my rig next to a window, which allows for constant cool airflow over evrything. so, for no additional noise level, i am running the stock intel cooler on a core i5 at ranges from 3.6 to 4.0 with temps ranging from 43c to 65c idle, and 65c to 90c under load. all of my settings are prime 95 stable for an hour.

Cooling

I use air in a quiet case, I just built a Cooler Master CM 690 that is ported for water, I may not sell it . It's running an oc'd AMD 4200+ cpu on an ASRock A780GXH/128M mainboard, 700w Raidmax Aurora ps, 4 gigs of Corsair 800Mhz ram,320 gig Seagate hdd, Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Cool an Quick, air for now.

air cooling much easier to apply rather than water cooling...and besides for daily 24/7 using much better use air unless U do extreme overclocking

Air Cooling because I do not trust putting water near my electronics :)
Especially since I just got my i7 rig done and working nicely :D

I was just checking when this poll would close and got curious on how the cooling choices have changed over the years. The original poll posted by eobard back in 2005-2007 ended up with air at 72.12%, water at 25.12% and Other Cooling at 2.76%. For the 2008 poll thread, air picked up to 78.50%, water dropped to 19.11% and Other Cooling dropped to 2.39%. And this poll thread (2009) is presently standing with air dropping back off to 76.50%, water gaining back to 22.25% and Other Cooling losing back to 1.25% with only about 16 days left until the poll closes.

I am theorizing that back when eobard first posted the original poll, air cooling was butting into a cooling wall because that was right at the very start of heatpipe use and water was more efficient at the time. By the time 2008 rolled around, heatpipe heatsinks had gotten very efficient and were actually cheaper and easier to set up than a good water loop. Finally, with the 2009 poll, we are seeing water again gaining more popularity, probably due to the tremendous heat output of i7 processors when highly overclocked. At least that's what I think is happening. As for the more extreme cooling options, I guess they are just steadily falling out of favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back