• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of cooling do you use poll (2009)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is your primary method of cooling your main system?

• Air cooling

Votes: 315 76.3%
  • Water cooling

Votes: 93 22.5%
  • Other cooling (please explain below)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Air air air. Just for the sake of better cost:performance ratio. + the fact that I can't really afford a Water cooling setup.. A decent one anyway. And I'd prob be a bit chicken trying to run water through my comp.. I might as well grab the hose from outside when my comp overheats :p. =D.

OCZ Vendetta 2 + Thermalright T-Rad2 on my CPU/GPU respectively work perfectly fine, and are dead silent.

I would love to play around with WC though one day, tubing makes stuff look cool :p. =D

For wc try using Feser coolant it's non-conductive ^^ I "spilt "some" on my mobo while it was on and yes nothing happened just turned comp off and cleaned the board and allowed it time to dry out and worked beautifully.

There are only 2 reasons I can see to WC. 1) For a really quiet PC--but even WC isn't completely silent. 2) Looking to buy the highest performing CPU/GPU and overclock it/them to the max.

If you are not buying top of the line CPUs, you can get the same performance by going air and upgrading the CPU.

For the extra money and effort involved with WC'ing, I could buy a faster processor and/or get a quieter fan.

I use air cooled but i will be moving to water cooled as soon as i have enough money. my computer is a bit too noisy atm.

Air, nothing to worry about moving it. I always stick with light coolers so no need to worry about damaging anything and also cheaper.

Silence is my main goal with overclocking as a future option when the rig is getting a bit long in the tooth. I can achieve both on air so no need for water cooling yet.

Currently running the Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion for my CPU cooling, Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 +92mm Arctic Cooling fan for my GPU and the 2x stock 120mm CoolerMaster 800RPM fans that came with my case.

I'm currently considering changing all fans to Noctua fans, will likely proceed with no either positive or negative feedback. Replacements as follows:

120mm Noctua NF-S12B-FLX, thinking 2 of these for case airflow - http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=54&bid=2&sid=45789
120mm Noctua NF-P12 fans, thinking 1 for my S1283 & 1 for my Accelero S1 - http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=127_5_86&products_id=1537

Discussion here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=615031

Last edited:
Lapped TRUE, with Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm.

I would go water-cooled, but I don't feel safe with it, considering my PC is left on 24/7... (I'd be scared to leave the house :p)

Lapped TRUE, with Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm.

I would go water-cooled, but I don't feel safe with it, considering my PC is left on 24/7... (I'd be scared to leave the house :p)

I've had at least 1 watercooled rig since 2001 (presently have 4) and I leave them up 24/7 all the time. And I work offshore on a 14 day on-14 day off schedule and while I'm at work, very seldom do my daughter or my wife even go in the computer room. And in all that time I've never had a malfunction or leak. It's all in choosing quality components in your loop and taking care in the build.

It's all in choosing quality components in your loop and taking care in the build.

+1

I don't think I actually ever posted up my answer here, so here goes. I am still on air for a few reasons. The first one being the fact that I hardly ever have time to look into it and do some research. The second being that I am still nervous about leaks destroying my hardware, third is that air is easier to install (not sure of liquid mantenance, may take about as much effort as air, maybe a little more or less). And finally, as much as I have tried and tried, I just can't justify the cost to the boss (read: wife).

I use everything from air-LN2, I have several on air, have 3 water cooled rigs, a single stage, a F1EE, and a cascade being built...

Well the Kuma runs hot on the M3A78-CM due to the unchangeable default
voltage in the bios (1.41) so I used to run hot even at stock much less overclocking.
Current bios revisions though have dropped it down now to 1.31v I think.
Doesn't do me any good though because i'm overclocked from 2.7 stock to 3.16
and anything less than 1.45v on mine is unstable.
This Antec 300 has brought temps down alot though with the 120mm rear - 140mm
blowhole on top - and a front 120mm intake i'm able to keep the chip at 36-38c idle
and my card at 46-48c idle and a mobo temp around 26-28c idle.

watercooled since 2003. Most of the parts im using now in use since 2006. non stop actually. only thing done to the setup for the most part is topping up the T line once/year.

running with air cooled because i don't trust myself to deal with water and electronics...
because i know in some way or another, i'm going to ruin something.

Air all the way. I'm a trader, tinkerer, and sometimes modder. With four computers constantly under modification, reconfiguration, or rebuild, the added complexity of water cooling would just be too much. After all, I do need to emerge from the computer room every now and then so my wife will remember who I am. :-/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back