• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What NON-800mhz P4 would you get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

I have a BH7-Raid with Corsair XMS PC3200 ram. Currently have the old reliable [email protected]. Runs solid as a rock @150fsb with memory on 3:2 at fastest timings. If I was to look for a cpu upgrade what would be the best one to keep everything on at least the 150fsb. PSU is an Antec Tru-480. CPU cooler is a Thermaltake something (X-478 rings a bell). Case is an Antec 1000 series with 4 fans. I am switching out a TI4600 for a 9800Pro and thought since I am going to have the case open,,
Well, you know how it is :)

I used to run a BD7-II with a 1.6a and the performance difference wasn't striking to substitute a 2.4b at 3GHz. It's faster, but it's not that much faster. Moving to the IS7 865pe chipset motherboard, dual channel ram, and a better 2.4b (well, a 1.8a actually--same thing) that does 3.4GHz and the system is noticeably faster than my last 845 based system was at even 3.2GHz.

The point? There aren't huge gains outside of benchmark scores from upgrading the cpu on your present board. I'd recommend saving for a good 865pe motherboard, two high quality (read BH5) memory sticks, and a modern cpu like the 2.4c or 2.6c. If you can find a talented 2.4b or 1.8a (like 3.4-3.6GHz) for cheap go for it, but on the whole you are probably going to get better results out of an 800fsb chip in most cases.

Larva, I found a C1 2.4b for 96.50 on Ebay. Cheap enough for me :) It's an SL6DV but still a C1 and from Costa Rica and most results have been good from looking at others experience with them. For less than a 100 I figure why not.

Back