• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the hell is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I found it in the electrical room of our building, its a box with 8 coaxial inputs marked 1-8 on it and it says "General Instrument" and "FFT" with an arrow pointing at red sticker that says "23K".

When I opened it up the plastic attatched to the electronics says "FFT 8"

What the hell is this?

I found it in the electrical room of our building, its a box with 8 coaxial inputs marked 1-8 on it and it says "General Instrument" and "FFT" with an arrow pointing at red sticker that says "23K".

When I opened it up the plastic attatched to the electronics says "FFT 8"

What the hell is this?

Sounds like a General Instrument 70 FFT8-23K FFT K series taps 1 GHz cable signal amplifier.

Don't touch it. It'll kill you.

- Blackstar

Sounds like a General Instrument 70 FFT8-23K FFT K series taps 1 GHz cable signal amplifier.

Don't touch it. It'll kill you.

- Blackstar

How? High voltage? Will it murder me in my sleep? does it have toxic chemicals inside?

Its sitting on my desk, with its guts out (I opened it).

So what does it do?

So what does it do?

Distribution amplifier for cable TV and such... such things generally appear on apartment buildings for when there's one main cable feed coming in that has to be split for multiple apartment units, while retaining good signal quality to all of them.

The reason it will kill you is that you will have up to 8 angry neighbors forming a lynch mob after they find out you were responsible for the cable cutting out in the middle of their 'stories'. (Assuming the box was hooked up and in use when you found it.) :D

Distribution amplifier for cable TV and such... such things generally appear on apartment buildings for when there's one main cable feed coming in that has to be split for multiple apartment units, while retaining good signal quality to all of them.

The reason it will kill you is that you will have up to 8 angry neighbors forming a lynch mob after they find out you were responsible for the cable cutting out in the middle of their 'stories'. (Assuming the box was hooked up and in use when you found it.) :D

Rofl, yeah, if it were in use when I found it, then I wouldn't have a problem with unplugging everything else in that room.... there are wires everwere there! No, I'm not stupid!

It was unplugged, and sitting on the building's main power switch, so I nabbed it. Obviously it was of no use to anyone and so they just left it there, maybe its broken? I wonder what purpose it could serve to me... hmmm

Rofl, yeah, if it were in use when I found it, then I wouldn't have a problem with unplugging everything else in that room.... there are wires everwere there! No, I'm not stupid!

It was unplugged, and sitting on the building's main power switch, so I nabbed it. Obviously it was of no use to anyone and so they just left it there, maybe its broken? I wonder what purpose it could serve to me... hmmm

More than likely it is broken and was just not worth replacing. Even if it works though, it's useless to you; unless you have 8 analog cable TV's each over 300 feet feet away. Then it will be great, for the next few months.

It was more than likely pulled because of the digital TV switchover. Now, it's about as useful as a brick. And if it's not right now, it soon will be. Digital TV does not need the same level or frequency of amplification as older analog did. More often than not, they make digital TV signals worse.

- Blackstar

Back