• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to replace 2 980's with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

With the release of the 1080's and now the Titan X I'm trying to determine what I want to do here. I'd also be moving to a 6700K in this example.

Should I sit on these 2 and wait for the 1080Ti?

Should I scoop up 1 1080?

I haven't found many benchmarks comparing single cards vs sli configurations. IE - 980's SLi vs single 1080, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would stick to a single 1080 until you have more pixels to drive...

Would that perform better than my 2 980's? Or would that be a wash with single card, pci x16, heat, etc.

It certainly seems like theyre really focusing on getting people away from SLi unless its absolutely necessary.

You will likely see a performance increase almost across the board, especially for games that do not take advantage or scale perfectly (very few do) with SLI. As awell as the net decrease in heat/power that your computer will use as well.

The 980 SLI will be slightly slower than a single 1080.

You will pick up lower power draw, and no SLI support issues.

You will likely see a performance increase almost across the board, especially for games that do not take advantage or scale perfectly (very few do) with SLI. As awell as the net decrease in heat/power that your computer will use as well.

The 980 SLI will be slightly slower than a single 1080.

You will pick up lower power draw, and no SLI support issues.
Winnner winner..............

And you could always add another 1080 later. If you're not running anything close to 4k, anything more than a single 1080 right now is overkill.

yeah, i was thinking of waiting until the Ti...crazy that the 1080, alone, is better than 2 980's in SLi.

no, i get that. I just wonder at what point are we going to hit a wall and plateau

hitting the ceiling of silicon. We'll end up with 24" long video cards and massive cases to meet needs...at least until the aliens come and give us their tech. lol

The 5 nm node was once assumed by some experts to be the end of Moore's law.[1] Transistors smaller than 7 nm will experience quantum tunnelling through their logic gates.

hitting the ceiling of silicon. We'll end up with 24" long video cards and massive cases to meet needs...at least until the aliens come and give us their tech. lol

Again, no time soon.

If you wanted to know about the limits of silicon ask "what is the limit of silicon dies?" and you would have gotten that answer first.
There's other technology we can use other than silicon, it's just cheap at this point.

The 5 nm node was once assumed by some experts to be the end of Moore's law.[1] Transistors smaller than 7 nm will experience quantum tunnelling through their logic gates.

Nice quote with no source...

Back