• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the highest possible ram you can get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah it was, it was used in a few speeds, many makes.

main question, as long as your using any form of XP core, your overclocking to get anywhere over PC3200. I donno for sure, but wouldnt it be a miracle to over clock to anywhere near pc4000 speeds?

4000 and up is more for intel and 64bit systems I think.

exsactly JerMe. I wnat to blow him out of the water from all edges. Temps here get so highi'm hesident to oerclcok until winter. I don't want to get a water system, don't like the idea of havingwater that close to all those expensive compenets.

Maybe I'll go with a mobil, but not sure. I want fast speeds from right off the bat to get even higher later on.

my budget is expensive within reason. I'll see what we come up with first and see if it is possible. Mean while keep thinking the best.
thankyou

I think most of you are missing a major indescrepency when talking about fsb vs timings on ram. Tighter timing 3200 will produce better results than 4400 if you're running a 3:2 or 5:4 ratio on your FSB, but if you have a chip that can clock really well (Read: P4 2.4c or 2.6c) and you crank the FSB with a 1:1 memory divider it's going to stomp the 3200 in nearly every benchmark regardless of timings. I thought I read somewhere that this happens as a result of hitting or exceding the P4 "Sweet Spot" A.K.A the 1gig FSB. So really, once you hit DDR500 speeds, the performance gained from low latency is shadowed by the performanced gained through raw speed. This is starting to sound like an AMD vs Intel debate (Efficiency vs Raw Speed... blah blah blah). It all boils down to this... If you're keeping your FSB UNDER 250, definately go with the tightest timings you can get your hands on as it WILL be faster at these settings. If you plan on taking it 250+ @ a 1:1 ratio (and have a mobo and chip that can handle that), then get PC4000+.

PS:

If you go AMD, just pretend DDR500 dosen't exist. With AMD it's only about tight timings. Speed makes no difference on an AMD system. AMD=Tight Timings

firemech, i think you should spend more time planning this PC, instead of just buying all the best components you can.

What do you want it for? How do you want to beat your brother (Hardware bench, game bench?)

If you tell us this, we can much more easily help you on a whole pc with a far more reasonable (or better balanced) budget.

~t0m

aNTiChRisT. thanks for the advice Although I am spending time planning. My plan here so far is to set up the best possible Pc I can get. then back it down from there with a bit of the game of give and take, then go out and by the parts and asemble. I'm not worried about prices right now. I'll get to that later on.

i want to blow my brother away in all areas. If I had to put a nail on it though I want best real time performance.

okay. Maybe I should rephrase this ?.

What is one of the fastest rams that i can get but still has the flexibility to do ost setups.
DDRram is my system. it's what I'd like to stick with unless given strong reason other wise.
thankyou

Ok. DDRram is nice, and even though ddr2 will be coming out soon, it will be very expensive.

There are two ways you can go about this. AMD, P4 -- and either now or later.

AMD is like an american muscle car -- it has alot of oopmh per mhz, and gives you better mhz-for-mhz performance ingame. P4s are shall we say, more technical -- more all rounders, however thier higher clock frequencies make up for this.

Now to decide -- buy now or later? Alot is coming out this year -- DDR2, PCI-x etc, so if you buy later you will either save money on current technology OR have the new generation of hardware.

Post back what you are planning, then we can suggest appropreit ram.

~t0m

Just wondering, would August be considered "later", or would one not reep the benefits of lower prices and/or newere tech. tech?

I definatly go with lower latencies no matter what application im running. first off, i just like the looks of 2-2-2-5. and secondly, i just like the looks of 2-2-2-5. :)

seriously though, running DDR500 2-2-2-5 is the way to go. ;)

Okay. here's what I got so far.
  • hard drive
  • nic
  • sound card

thats it. I want to stick with amd athlon xp. I have no reason to stray from antec. And I'm asuming that my curent psu will not be able to handle the more demanid power demands. And since I going with the amd athlon xp probably means I have to go with a nforce2 chipset. I here good things about the abit nfs-7. And the vid card is up in the air too. I currently ahve a geforce 3. but I here tremenus things about the radion 9800.
so thats what I have put together. I just recently figured out what i want to do so I havn't much time to work on the list yet.
thankyou

Back