• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 780 Configuration should i go with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fast96se

Id like to state my specs first.

i5 4670k @ 4.6ghz
16gb ddr3 1600
evga gtx 670 SC 4GB
asus maxims vi formula
corsair ax860
qnix evolution II (1440P 110HZ)
samsung 840 evo 250gb
wd caviar black 1tb

I run battlefield 4 @ 1440p Textures and texture filtering on ultra, everything else is on medium, HBAO and no AA. Most maps i get 80-110 fps, on some more demanding maps It can go down to 60

I want to be able to run it at a constant 100+ possibly with everything ultra, maybe a mixture of high and ultra

Ive been planning on upgrading my gpu this year. Ive wanted to wait for the 800 series to come out. I just found out about evga's step up program. So sometime later this month I should be able to buy one of the 700 series and just upgrade to an 800 as long as they come out within 90 days(crosses fingers). I need help deciding what to go with.

I was really leaning towards getting an SLI set up. I wanted 2 780 classifieds. I became a bit concerned when I heard about the issues with sli like lack of support and frame stuttering. So that's why now I'm really considering a kingpin ti

What do you guys think?

I think you should look into other, less expensive models of the 780. The Classy and especially the Kingpin are really made for extreme (read sub ambient) overclocking. So a lot of the features the cards have, you really will not be using.

Just step up to a Superclock or something of the like is my take.

I think you should look into other, less expensive models of the 780. The Classy and especially the Kingpin are really made for extreme (read sub ambient) overclocking. So a lot of the features the cards have, you really will not be using.

Just step up to a Superclock or something of the like is my take.

I'm not concerned with which one to select if I go single GPU, I'm more concerned with SLI vs a single 780 ti. Im worried about the issues I've heard about SLI as it states above. I've posted on a few different forums and I'm getting mixed messages, some people are saying "ya go with SLI just because more power" others are saying to go with a single GPU because of said problems

I game bf4 default ultra happily with a single 780 at 2560x1440. Now, I do not have your exceedingly high fps requirements either... But my 60 average it looks and plays smooth.

As far as sli/cfx, there are potential issues that come with it. Hitching dies sometimes happen but it'd better in nvidia than amd for the most part. If you can go single, go single is always my advice... But.with your fps requirements, you may be stuck with 2 cards.

I game bf4 default ultra happily with a single 780 at 2560x1440. Now, I do not have your exceedingly high fps requirements either... But my 60 average it looks and plays smooth.

As far as sli/cfx, there are potential issues that come with it. Hitching dies sometimes happen but it'd better in nvidia than amd for the most part. If you can go single, go single is always my advice... But.with your fps requirements, you may be stuck with 2 cards.

thanks for the relpy, yea my standard for fps is definitely higher than 60 since my display is capable if 120.

The AX860 would be OK for a single 780 TI, but for SLI and the amount you want to push things. Then maybe a bigger PSU would be a safe bet!!

EDIT: That's my own 10c of looking at this!

AJ.

At stock he would be fine... Heavy overclocks, likely ok. It's a 250w card at worst case.. 2x = 500 125w for cpu another 50-75w for system. That's 700w. Unless he is mining or folding, is say it's enough.

Last edited:
At stock he would be fine... Heavy overclocks, likely ok. It's a 250w card at worst case.. 2x = 500 125w for cpu another 50-75w for system. That's 700w. Unless he is mining or folding, is say it's enough.

What about 2 780 ti's? Would I be pushing my luck with this PSU? ive asked a few other sources and Im kinda getting a mixed bag of answers

What I said included 2 780ti's. Both the 780 and 780ti have the same TDP/power use.

2x 780ti's = 500W
CPU = 125W overclocked to the moon (you will never hit 125W)
The rest of your system is well less than 100W (closer to 50/75).

500+125+100= 725W. And that is if you have both GPUs running full tilt and the CPU running full tilt. That only happens in stress test situations and folding or mining. With gaming, you will not break 600W with everything overclocked.

More can't hurt, but, so long as you are not volt modding/bios flashing the 780ti's I would happily rock the PSU in your signature with your rig and uses.

qnix evolution II. its 60hz stock but nvidia control panel allows it to OC up to 120hz

Just to clarify about the PSU ED is correct in his statement, but for myself i have always had a bigger PSU than you have needed. I don't like running things @ 80% or what ever, but not everyone has the same way of thinking!

Hence you have to decide which way you wish to go, and that stands for most things in life as well as PC Parts!

AJ.

Last edited:
Back