• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one? Volcano 7+(plus) or Volcano 9???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaportrail

Registered
I know the Volcano 7 plus has a copper heatsink and a switch, and the Volcano 9 does not. Which one do you guys recommend??? The 7+ is a bit more expensive, but not by much, only $10 or so. Any opinions and thoughts appreciated.

Vaportrail said:
I know the Volcano 7 plus has a copper heatsink and a switch, and the Volcano 9 does not. Which one do you guys recommend??? The 7+ is a bit more expensive, but not by much, only $10 or so. Any opinions and thoughts appreciated.

Well, I have the 7+ on one machine and the 7 (sorta like a 9) on the other. I like the 7+ better. I prefer to be able to control the fan speed and the temps are a little lower on the machine using it. 10 bucks difference? Well if it doesnt break you, what the heck?

Vaportrail said:

That is correct, the volcano 9 does not have a switch on the fan, instead, it has 3 different ways to control it. Set it to max, thermally control it with a provided probe, or use the rheo wheel to set it to whatever speed you wish. Which is much better than the options on the volcano 7.

Could I not put a Volcano 9 fan on a Volcano 7+ sink??? This way, I could have best of both worlds per say.

I have the Volcano 9 and I can tell you its a nice cooler. I'm running my athlon 2200 idle at 34.9c. I'm sure the 7+ would cool better, but I don't like the 70mm fan, and I like the thermal adjustments that are made on this cooler. if you're going to do serious overclocking get the 7+ or a thermalright slk-800 otherwise the 9 is a good cooler.

michaelkahl said:
I have the Volcano 9 and I can tell you its a nice cooler. I'm running my athlon 2200 idle at 34.9c. I'm sure the 7+ would cool better, but I don't like the 70mm fan, and I like the thermal adjustments that are made on this cooler. if you're going to do serious overclocking get the 7+ or a thermalright slk-800 otherwise the 9 is a good cooler.

Wow, 34.9 idle is pretty damn good on an 2200. What are the load temps? What is your mobo temp?

I get 32 celcius idle and 40 load on a XP1800 @ 2000+ with 1.8V and thats using the 50CFM 70mm cooler.

Using the 75CFM 80mm fan through the addapter plate(copper) i get 27 idle and 35 celcius load (smartfan 2 thermatake)

I can say its a lot better than my Alpha PAL 8045 with a 80CFM Delta and a LOT quiter.

During work i set the fan to mid range and during games et al i go full ball!

MAGIC.

PS you have to use AS3 or you will loose fome of the benefit.

I just picked up a volcano 9 to replace my volcano 7.. MAJOR difference in temps. the volcano7 gave me the same temps as the stock hsf. with the volcano 9 i have dropped 6-7 degrees

volcano7 idle
case 30c
cpu 45+

volcano9 idle
case 30c
cpu 37-44c

with the volcano 7 i never got below 40c idle cpu temp I was so happy to see it go down to 36c

one drawback is at full speed to smartfan is LOUD alot louder then the v7 fan but it also moves a hell of alot more air.
and like someone said it has 3 options FULL speed/ temp controlled/ or manual control via a small knob.

btw the system i run it on is
1.4 Athlon t-bird
ecs k7s5a
512MB pc2100 PNY
2 hd's
cd-rw
dvd
geforce3 ti200

WOW!!! Thanks for all the input. I'm getting the Volcano 7+ and perhaps in the near future, I'll fabricate a bracket unless someone has one for sale for the smart fan II to fit onto the 7+. I'm currently running a Volcano 7 on an Athlon Tbird 1gig with temps of 40 to 44, no higher and no lower, (yet). I'm looking forward to the 7+!!!

I have the Volcano 7+. How does everyone else find the noise of this cooler on the Low setting? Mine spins at 3300 RPM (spec says it should be at 3000 RPM) but its defintely not quiet which defeats the whole purpose of me buying this heatsink. There is high-pitched "ringing in the ears" sound which is driving me crazy.

Does anybody else get this freakin noise?

Chazza,

If you remove the aluminum thermaltake faceplate it will reduce some of that whining from the fan. I did this with mine for the same reason.

my ten cents

just recieved my valcano 9 and when i first installed it i was very pleased with results....39idle-45load......was 45idle-50load.....now i did notice the high pitch noise and when investigating it i found that if you restrict air to heatsink the noise got worst....(by putting hand over fan) my two case fans that blow air out are right there causing my high pitch sound cause when i removed the case fans from picture it quit but then my temps went up...so restriction of air to this fan does cause that high pitch sound.....i will be checking if taking that plate off will help also.....but all in all this heatsink and fan was best yet out of 6 different ones bought.....hell, i could have bought a new motherboard with the waist of money on all extra heatsinks i have.....spent 150 beans so far on heatsinks...........please dont be as stupid as me....

Back