• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which temps do I trust for O.C.ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottinIndy

Fairly new to AM3 and I'm just messing around with some O.C.ing tonite, So I have a question in regard to temps. Currently Coretemp shows my idle temp at 28° OCCT shows core 1@2 at 28°, Everest shows just CPU sensor temp at 34°. As load temps increase, Coretemp and OCCT stay consistent, Everest is consistently higher, Which temps should I trust in regard to watcing the heat on the CPU?

Well CoreTemp I believe is the more accurate... some motherboards actually have 2 thermal sensors that can be both thought of as a CPU temp monitor. Almost all CPU's have an on-die thermal sensor that is read by CoreTemp (usually...) and then some motherboards may have a temp sensor under or around the socket of the CPU, so it reads the temp but it isn't very accurate. Either program could be right, your best bet is to compare using BIOS readings, and see which is the closest.

If CoreTemp and OCCT agree I'd trust that. CoreTemp does have it's rare quirks with some CPU/board combinations but usually it's right on the money. The Coolest got his register addresses and temp coding from AMD - it wasn't guesswork. For those combinations that don't seem to work right I think the BIOS somehow scrambles the addressing (though I don't know that for sure).

Well CoreTemp I believe is the more accurate... some motherboards actually have 2 thermal sensors that can be both thought of as a CPU temp monitor. Almost all CPU's have an on-die thermal sensor that is read by CoreTemp (usually...) and then some motherboards may have a temp sensor under or around the socket of the CPU, so it reads the temp but it isn't very accurate. Either program could be right, your best bet is to compare using BIOS readings, and see which is the closest.
IIRC BIOS doesn't use the on-die CPU sensor ...

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the input. I kinow not all teimps can be accurate, My wife's rig has the 5000+BE and if IIRC the temp readings on them were off by several degrees.

Back