• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Can't I Get Past 1545!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

explorer

I built my rig around christmas and have gone through two 8kha+'s and am currently with the Soltek DRV4, I have the highest qulaity components you can find: Crucial ram, Visiontek video card, an antec 350 watt power supply, an sk6 with a delta and last but not least I have an xp 1600+. No matter what settings or what configuration I can not get past 1545. I have tried every multiplier fsb setting you can think of, i have tried cas 2 and cas2.5, I have tried every voltage setting for cpu and ram, WHY CAN'T I GET PAST 1545?? I hear of people hitting 1700 with my proc, did I get a dud processor or am I missing something? PLease help.

Explorer

Whats the stepping on the processor,did ya look?.Most people don't understand that overclocking does require some luck> Not every processer is a good overclocker, Look at hoots 1600+ it does 1800mhz i can't get my 1800+ do do that no matter what voltage or settings i use.Maybe you got a bad stepping or it just is the limit of your processer.

overclocking

The only way I could get my 1600+ above 1575 or so was to unlock it and use a bigger multiplyer and extra voltage. Could be a PCI card, ram, or not enough juice from you pwer supply, too. Do what you can to test the hardware in your system and rule out things like the PCI cards. Test ram in another computer if that option is available to you.

settings

What settings are you using on your memory?... cpu vcore?

Find out what the voltage is doing. As stated earlier, not all chips are gifts from god (none of mine have been). I suspect (and of course do not know) that the voltage is not behaving correctly. Use mbm and clock the chip as high as you can. Run a cpu stress program at the same time that you have mbm up showing the voltages. Set mbm to give one second readouts. Watch for the 3.3v to drop as well as possibly the 5v. What is the highest voltage you can put to the cpu? I am presently pushing 2.2v on my xp1600 in order to achieve 1.73Ghz on a water cooled system. I know there are xp1600's out now that will break 1.8Ghz on air at 1.85v. As I said, god does not favor me.:)

I would look for something like 1.65 or so on air.

First of all, my stepping is AGKGA, my 5v line drops to 4.81, while my 3.3v line is right around 3.32, I am currently running 10x154 @1.85, ram is at 2.7v and cas2, temps are 31 idle 39 load, I am in Cleveland, Ohio with windows open so the room is around 45 degrees F. I have tried overclocking with out pci cards but I get no luck, same results. I have also tried using a 133 bus and cranking the mult but I am not stable at 1.6ghz(12x133). Thanks for your help.

Explorer

Try bumping the voltage to the ram abit more. Your 5v rail seems to be the bottle neck (Your PSU in otherwords)... What's the problem when you pump up more FSB

Yodums said:
Try bumping the voltage to the ram abit more. Your 5v rail seems to be the bottle neck (Your PSU in otherwords)... What's the problem when you pump up more FSB

Yodums, you don't think that with him up at 1540 @ 1.85 that he just might need a little more v to the cpu? If it is a stubborn chip he may have to force it a little. 45c is good cooling but you really don't want to go a lot higher. Try this though, assuming that you can't move the fsb up any more, go to 11 x 150 and move the vcore up to 1.90 or 1.95. Now watch the cpu temp closely as it is probably going to climb and may do so rather rapidly. We just want to know if you get in at 1650. Relax the ram timings before you do this as we are just looking at the cpu and do not want the ram to alter the results. Get back on this. Should this work then I suspect a better cooling solution would have to be looked at. Your attempt earlier at using a 12 multiplier may have been a bit stiff, especially without more power and moving the fsb may be due to either ram v, vcore or ram limitation. I would think that at the higher mult you could hear the psu "hunker" down as it booted.

Yodums.....?

Vcore maybe needed yes, but look at the PSU, if you add too much juice where's the PSU can't take it, your CPU will crap out. I remember before getting a better PSU my 5v rail was some what dropping to 4.76 causing instablity sometimes, I got a new one, now voltages are better, and my vcore seems to stay at 1.9v stable.

At the moment I am running 9.5x162 and my vcore is 1.88 my 5v is at 4.78, I have been running cpu burn for the past 4 hours and my temps are staying at 41. I will try relaxing mem and then I will get back to you. I was wondering, I have 3 80 mm fans and 3 ide devices all drawing off of the 5v line, I am using an Antec 350 watt ps, would this drop the 5v to 4.78?

Thanks,
Explorer

I was finally able to post at 1650 but could not get into windows, I can get into windows at 1600 but I am not stable, my temps are in the 30s at 1600 because I am not able to run any stress test programs. I can only hit 1.88 volts so I am seeking a volt mod to allow me to go higher.

Thanks again,
Explorer

There you go. Now of course with the increase in power you must also check the 5v and 3.3v lines per Yodums as the increase may put you over the edge and this will effect stability. Also (very important) keep a close eye on the temps so as not to fry anything. Gotta run cool.

Silver said:

Yodums, you don't think that with him up at 1540 @ 1.85 that he just might need a little more v to the cpu? If it is a stubborn chip he may have to force it a little. 45c is good cooling but you really don't want to go a lot higher. Try this though, assuming that you can't move the fsb up any more, go to 11 x 150 and move the vcore up to 1.90 or 1.95. Now watch the cpu temp closely as it is probably going to climb and may do so rather rapidly. We just want to know if you get in at 1650. Relax the ram timings before you do this as we are just looking at the cpu and do not want the ram to alter the results. Get back on this. Should this work then I suspect a better cooling solution would have to be looked at. Your attempt earlier at using a 12 multiplier may have been a bit stiff, especially without more power and moving the fsb may be due to either ram v, vcore or ram limitation. I would think that at the higher mult you could hear the psu "hunker" down as it booted.

Yodums.....?

I've heard that for the XP's increasing the voltage after 1.85-1.9 uping the vcore anymore won't help too much.

rnpgrosz said:

I've heard that for the XP's increasing the voltage after 1.85-1.9 uping the vcore anymore won't help too much.

Yes, and that has been my experience as well. The last two motherboards were in fact that way. I rescently changed to an Epox 8K3A and the xp will run faster on it requires 2.2v. It does take it on this board where as the others it would not. If you are getting into windows without complete stability then I suspect that just a tad more would do the trick.

Not only did it not help on the other boards but bad things would happen during bootup. I also failed to mention that I changed from a Maze2/1 1/2" to a maze2 3/8".

Back