• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does my system get so hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolemite2001

I have a Duron 800 Not over clocked at the moment, on an A7V using the ThermalTake Chrome ORB. For a while i had the cover off with a large house fan blowing in and it ran at 125F idle. I recently put a fan blowing out the back and 3 fans blowing in. It still runs around 129F idle.
What can I do to get it to at least 112F idle and not so warm.
Thanks

Are you using a program to get the temp? If so which one? Some of the monitoring programs can be off by quite a bit so try checking your temp in bios. I also have an A7V and it does read high temps around 105F idle 115 loaded with water cooling. I also have 2 Asus KT7A-Raid mobos and I tried the same chip and cooling on each of them and they read mid 70's idle and mid 80's under full load. The Abits have a thermistor that can be bent up so that it touches the bottom of the cpu which I think is a much better solution then Asus's fixed in the bottom of the socket. What you are really reading is the air temp in the socket.

Another reason you might be running so hot is that ORB's SUCK. Go buy a good HSF and make a pencil holder out of the Orb.
You should also consider lapping your heatsink and using good thermal paste. You will be amazed as to what that will do.

Thank you both for the suggestions, yes I am using the A7V asus pc probe. Whats other good proggie to know your temperature, or will they all report what A7V is reporting?

I like the artic silver thermal grease (good stuff) i was haveing the same problem I had to change heat sinks and dropped about five degrees

Then there's that PCI registry 52 hack. It's set to the right value on my Abit KT7A-R, but I don't know about Asus.

And, what everyone has said, KILL THE ORB!
BTW, Swiftech is EXPENSIVE, Alpha is not. Alpha has better performanence/bucks ratio.

Back