• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2kPro Hangs After Installation of DirectX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
This isn't really a question, but more of a quick answer, in case someone is searching the forums in hope of help.

Last night I did a speed-reformat, managed to pull it off in about four hours. Win2kPro installation went fine, but when I rebooted after installing DirectX 8.1, the machine would hang at the 2kPro splash screen, with the indicator bar a little past half-way.

Multiple reboots did not fix the problem.

I hit F8 at the bootloader and enabled boot logging, hoping I could look at what went wrong with 98SE. Of course this time, the thing booted. After turning on boot logging about three times in a row, the problem disappeared, and I could boot 2kPro without screwing with boot logging.

Dunno if it was just a coincidence, or if boot logging actually changes something, but there's my answer to an unasked question.

Back