• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 due late 2009/early 2010

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just installed 6956, which may be the last build before Beta 1, and I have to say, it is quite stable. I have only been using it for a few hours, but it is so much more stable than Vista Beta 1.

I'm going to wait until 7 has been out for a year or so before upgrading to it. If it's similar to Vista when it first came out, it'll be worth it to wait until they have all the bugs out.

62199240nx2.jpg

stable and all is working, i dont know what they want to do during a whole year :confused:

^^there are thousands of other functions of an OS..im sure you haven't played around with all of them

I hate the new taskbar (just icons for active windows is a BAD idea...the names help alot in identifying and switching quickly)...hopefully they'll give us some freedom in customizing it.

Ive had pretty good experience with Vista...but I hate how its not backwards compatible with old games. Some of them don't even work in XP compatibility/admin mode etc

i dont think so, the taskbar is very usefull and easy-to-use. the new windows explorer (not the internet explorer) also is working well and cute.

and compatibility mode in windows 7 is working well too, at any rate this make possible to use the vista software on win. 7.

i dont think so, the taskbar is very usefull and easy-to-use. the new windows explorer (not the internet explorer) also is working well and cute.

and compatibility mode in windows 7 is working well too, at any rate this make possible to use the vista software on win. 7.

I was talking about games in particular. Far Cry, Halo: Combat Evolved and several others I cannot remember right now.

Ive always liked Windows Explorer...much more powerful than Finder imo..but the taskbar with huge icons and no text labels seem annoying to me. Can they be customized?

Windows 7 is sweet as hell...I installed windows 7 beta build 6956 on my old computer :

Pentium 4 2.4ghz
MSI 875P neo FIS2R MB
1 gb corsair ram
ati x800xt all in wonder
120gb seagate hd
seasonic s12 600w psu

I have to say that I'm really impressed at how fast it is on this old computer. It feels faster than even xp. The only problem I had was installing drivers for the onboard sound of the motherboard....I eventually got it to work and now it's great. I've been using it for a couple of days now and it never froze up on me or BSOD. It's very stable for a beta. I even installed Warcraft 3 on it which is an old game and it works and plays fine. The best feature of Windows 7 imo is the new Media center. I use my xbox 360 as a media center extender and now it plays a lot of hd videos on the fly in the media center app instead of the dashboard. I believe it encodes the movies on the fly if the codec is not supported. I experienced no lag from the videos on my extender despite my weak system. TWO THUMBS UP!!! WORLDS better than vista and it will probably get better.

I think one of my downfalls is that I've never used Vista to any extent. I've played around in many Vista machines here and there, but I really hated it, any time I go to change something, the computer stops, anything I go to install something, the computer stops, and getting around the file system and control panel is a nightmare. On the other hand, if I had enough time to play with it, I could probably break, disable, and uninstall all of the crap and make it a fairly lean OS.

I guess I'm faced with 2 problems. I don't have a free computer (at least up to spec) that I'm willing to sacrifice for the install. And I don't see any point in actually USING Vista as opposed to XP. Microsoft has not proven any one reason for me to want to upgrade to Vista. Vista doesn't have one single advantage over XP. I don't think Microsoft's problem is making people like Vista, I think it's making people like Vista MORE than they like XP.

They really should keep this in mind when they develop 7. An OS should be there to help all your programs flow together in a simple and intuitive environment. Your programs should be the main focus when using a computer, not your OS.

I'm curious as to where everyone that's running Win7 is getting it from? Are you all Beta testers for MS, or did you download the Beta from a torrent?

I was talking about games in particular. Far Cry, Halo: Combat Evolved and several others I cannot remember right now.

Ive always liked Windows Explorer...much more powerful than Finder imo..but the taskbar with huge icons and no text labels seem annoying to me. Can they be customized?

all modern games are working on the windows 7 (thanks for compatibility mode)

yes, sure, you can.

... An OS should be there to help all your programs flow together in a simple and intuitive environment. Your programs should be the main focus when using a computer, not your OS.

i am very agree with you, and the microsoft think so too. the compatibiltiy mode is a powerfull feature, this ensured to use old games and software on windows 7 even a programs for xp.

I'm curious as to where everyone that's running Win7 is getting it from? Are you all Beta testers for MS, or did you download the Beta from a torrent?

sure most of those people downloaded this from torrents and wherever else.
this is a trick of microsoft to use people as a beta testers. :)

Last edited:
I care.

Yes its illegal for anyone to use outside of the beta testing program. Discussing that behavior here on the forums, is in violation of our rules. DO NOT discuss obtaining software thru illegitimate channels.

Now that any lack of clarity on that issue has been addressed, please adhere to the forum rules. Thanks.

Back