• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Witcher 3 black screen freeze problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxiz

Hello everybody, i have this annoying witcher 3 problem, been trying to find a solution to it for 2 days now.
When i start the game, skip the cutscene the game freezes on black screen in the main menu. I have to force restart my pc after that. At first i was getting GPU driver BSOD's when launching the game, but after 3-4 driver reinstalls i get black screen freeze now. Game cache is verified, 2 missing files redownloaded but it didn't make any difference,still the damned black screen.

Some information:
I5-750 cpu
Silverstone strider plus 700w psu (bought 2 days ago)
8gb crucial ballistix 1600mhz memory (bought 2 days ago)
Gigabyte ga-p55m-ud2 mobo
5970 HD video card (bought used few weeks ago)

I tried to use my old 5850 to launch the game with my old psu/ this new silverstone psu + old 4gb ram/ new crucial ballistix 8gb ram, none of these combos worked. Same black screen freeze.

Thank you for your help

What driver are you running on the gpu? Have you tried an older driver to see if you get different results.

already reinstalled the latest driver 50 times to no awail. What older driver would you recommend for witcher 3? for my 5xxx series gpu.

- - - Updated - - -

What driver are you running on the gpu? Have you tried an older driver to see if you get different results.

i ranned it with 15.7.1 (5xxx series gpu is what i have) - no luck, also tried beta crimson edition drivers, still nothing.... And then windows 10 installed some kinda 15.201.1151.1008 driver over my 15.7.1, but still wouldn't work. What older driver would you recommend for witcher 3?

problem is that the driver always stops responding on startup and the game freezes.... I tried this fix https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 but then witcher freezes with windows 10 message "An application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

Old arse GPU.. new game and new OS... :(

Not sure which to recommend as I do not have a 7 year old GPU to test it out with. :(

Id delete and reinstall the whole game though instead of just verifying the cache and putting back 2 missing files (weird!).

Did you stress test the card when you received it? Do you know it is a fully functioning card?

Never mind.... saw it did not work with the old set up either.

Old arse GPU.. new game and new OS... :(

Not sure which to recommend as I do not have a 7 year old GPU to test it out with. :(

Id delete and reinstall the whole game though instead of just verifying the cache and putting back 2 missing files (weird!).

already did that, no workies also. I have win 10 just because it also didn't work with win 7 also. Like i mentioned before, didn't work with 5850 on win 7 too. I don't think that old gpu is the problem, other people on youtube run it with 5970 so as with 5850.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you stress test the card when you received it? Do you know it is a fully functioning card?

Never mind.... saw it did not work with the old set up either.

your old card goes freezing in witcher 3 too?

problem is that the driver always stops responding on startup and the game freezes.... I tried this fix https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 but then witcher freezes with windows 10 message "An application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

Your GPU is dying I think: drivers stop responding on startup, not enough juice to sustain the core clock. Try upping the GPU voltage a notch or two with Sapphire Trixx (+0.02v to +0.05v).

Last edited:
well, after disabling ulps, rolling back to windows 7 (and reinstalling 15.7.1 drivers), also doing TdrDelay to 8 fix, i can now navigate in main menu. But game crashed with black screen during first new game intro/cutscene thing with some glitched sound

note: event viewer doesn't record any program/driver crash of some sort.

Have you tried feeding it a bit more juice, as suggested?

Edit: sorry, did not see about the 5850... No clue then...

Back