• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOH! New Speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

After having cheap stereo speakers for years, I went and bought some Logitch Z-340's...they're just a 2.1 setup, but man they're so much better!!! I love the bass. Heh, the sound makes me excited about gaming again. If these are so good to me, I can only imagine how nice those Klipsch surround ones are.

logitechs line really does kick ***... i put z-340s in all my customers systems. you should hear my 560's.. :D

I have normal cheap stereo speakers at the moment but want the Creative Inspire 5800 5.1 speakers. It has Dolby® Digital 5.1 and I can use it on my PS2 as well but it costs alot so I'll wait intill I get a job first.

hmmm...I have 2 sets of ok quality speakers and 2 sets of good quality speakers. (too bad they are 2.0 speakers or stero) I wonder how nice one would be to have a subwoofer for those heart-pounding sounds)

Anyway, Logitch Z-340s are very nice. I hope I'll get a set soon...(poor me)...

Brand (unlike most things) makes a huge difference in the quality of a speaker set.
I however get really good deals on sets at Staples every few months. I got a new Philips 100w 5.1 set for $25 a few weeks ago.

I have the creative inspire 4.1 4400's and I must say I like them a lot. I only have the volume turned about half way and it's plenty loud, I'm afraid I get blown away if I max it =\ And the bass is nice too :) And they're a LOT cheaper than klipsh, I picked my up from newegg for 48 bucks. Quite a deal if you ask me.

my z-340's were only like 42 dollars, that's including tax :) they're 46 with shipping from new egg....sometimes the local stores with their sales just can't be beat! but anybody out there with plain stereo speakers, you definitely need to get at least a 2.1!!!!!

I have two 2.1 sets that I have setup as a 4.2 system on my dads machine. Man are they great! Alone they are not very good, but get those 2 woofers paired together and you have earth-shaking bass. I have ACS 295s doing the back sounds and ACS 340s for the forward sounds. And believe it or not, the 295s are 2x better than the 340s! The 340s woofer is one of the weakest I have ever seen, at max volume it barely matches my 295s woofer at half volume.

I have 2 JVC SK-S11's (70Watt RMS) Powered by a Yamaha R-300, bridged. Its not as much bass as I would like, so im going to invest in some small Oz Audio subs for my room when I get the 15's for my car. I was thinking about 12's for my room. Theyre not too big, only like 1000 watt. I wish I had the money for some DD's for my room. That would pwn! 5000 Watt, been tested to handle 30000 watt bursts!!! Wow...im poor tho.

KLowD said:
I have 2 JVC SK-S11's (70Watt RMS) Powered by a Yamaha R-300, bridged. Its not as much bass as I would like, so im going to invest in some small Oz Audio subs for my room when I get the 15's for my car. I was thinking about 12's for my room. Theyre not too big, only like 1000 watt. I wish I had the money for some DD's for my room. That would pwn! 5000 Watt, been tested to handle 30000 watt bursts!!! Wow...im poor tho.

what sorta system do ya got in the car klowd?

KLowD said:

Only 1000 watts? Gee, last time I checked not too many speakers have a continous power rating of much more than that. DD's are not very good for home use, if you want them as a subwoofer. They have a high free air resonance, and were designed to be SPL drivers, for the car market where you get cabin gain.

As for the 5000 watt, where do you find that rating? I assume you are saying that is a continous power rating? If so, that is incorrect.

As for the 30kW rating, that is plain BS. Who told you that? Mechanically, you would have to play a VERY high frequency to prevent the driver from bottoming with that kind of power. I would imagine power compression would come into play A LONG TIME before that. The only time the driver could handle that kind of power would be for SECONDS, if that. Also, what kind of amplifier did they use to power it? Last time I checked even for a DVC configuration you would need 2 amplifiers, and I dont know of any 15kW car amplifiers.

I took the easy route for sound, i took basically a high powered Jensen Home theatre surround sound system + reciever and just connected it to my computer :D playing quake with 2 15''subs is ****ing awsome!!! My sound system puts to shame any "computer" speaker system out there. You can hear my computer out in the parking lot (bad for neighbors and roomates :eek: oh well !! :D )

Azzkiller said:

Only 1000 watts? Gee, last time I checked not too many speakers have a continous power rating of much more than that. DD's are not very good for home use, if you want them as a subwoofer. They have a high free air resonance, and were designed to be SPL drivers, for the car market where you get cabin gain.

As for the 5000 watt, where do you find that rating? I assume you are saying that is a continous power rating? If so, that is incorrect.

As for the 30kW rating, that is plain BS. Who told you that? Mechanically, you would have to play a VERY high frequency to prevent the driver from bottoming with that kind of power. I would imagine power compression would come into play A LONG TIME before that. The only time the driver could handle that kind of power would be for SECONDS, if that. Also, what kind of amplifier did they use to power it? Last time I checked even for a DVC configuration you would need 2 amplifiers, and I dont know of any 15kW car amplifiers.

Yea, its not 5000 Watt...the guy is a chronic liz0r. But, they are 2500 (heh, not much now). And, I know of a 20,000 watt car amp. http://nexxon.com/dbdrag.htm ... BUT, I did have data sheets where the DD's could handle 30000 watts for less than a second and not blow. Why do you think I said "BURSTS!"

what sorta system do ya got in the car klowd?

Nothing yet...hopefully 3 Oz Audio Power Matrix 15's. Dont know what kind of amp yet...was thinking of a competetion grade USAmps amp.

--KLowD

Last winter, I replaced my pitiful five watts rms compaq speakers with a Boston Acoustics BA635 three piece system and it rocks! I wish I knew how many watts it was, BA doesn't measure computer speakers in watts. :(

Heat said:
Last winter, I replaced my pitiful five watts rms compaq speakers with a Boston Acoustics BA635 three piece system and it rocks! I wish I knew how many watts it was, BA doesn't measure computer speakers in watts. :(

:D

LOL, you would probably be surprised at the TRUE power output of your BA speakers. Something tells me that its not more than 20w total output. But don't fret, I have yet to see a computer speaker manufacturer accurately rate his product's power output. At least Boston isnt lying. Sadly, the amount of power output given on spec sheets nowadays is meaningless.

Azzkiller said:

:D

LOL, you would probably be surprised at the TRUE power output of your BA speakers. Something tells me that its not more than 20w total output. But don't fret, I have yet to see a computer speaker manufacturer accurately rate his product's power output. At least Boston isnt lying. Sadly, the amount of power output given on spec sheets nowadays is meaningless.

Yes, I'd like to think as BA as one of the better makers of computer speakers. A funny thing happened a few months ago, when I switch wires, like I plugged in the wire that went to the sub to the computer and the sound was like 20x louder. :D

Even with the volume all the way down on the speakers, and the software mp3 player at halfway, it is still loud enough to rock the whole room and if all the way up on everything, the whole house is just bumping.

PS, I just got them 'cuz of their small size since they're so convenient.

However, in the winter, I'll be getting a Sony 500 watts audio receiver and speaker system for my set top dvd player and I'll also get a new sound card that has digital output.

I know how ya feel samething with my headphones I could not believe the quality difference then I got used to it heheheh

Back