• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo. New i7 and P6T, 3.482 right out of the box...but

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

So I got my compnents yesterday and hurriedly put them together. i7 920, p6T, ocz ddr3 1600 ram, xigmatek 1283hdt/ocz freeze

first tested the ram with xmp at 1600 in memtest (stock cpu testing) 1.4 qpi/dram - 1.64 volts for ram - 24 hours perfect

then upped the bus to 170 and underclocked the ram to about 1400 - booted, ran some large fft and got temps in the 80s.

reset and dropped the bus to 160 (turbo still on cause I like it) to see if the temps would drop and plus i wanted the ram back at 1600 if possible and it wouldn't post.

hmmm....

brought it back up to 166 and set the ram at 1333 and then tried 1.2v on the cpu to see if temps dropeed and they did - 8 hours of large fft and simultaneous browsing, etc. and temps are at 70-73. Computer feels snappy.

Everything is auto except dram settings noted above, bclk and cpu volts.

My chip is a d0 so what do you guys recommend next...

Trying to drop the cpu volts again? What is average for 3.5Ghz? Is 1.2v more than i probably for 3.5 or should I leave it because it seems to work?

What's with the ram? i nmy history if ram tested at a certain speed at a certain fsb it would still do that speed at an increased fsb once the multiplier is adjusted. Wat do I need to adjust to try and get the ram to 1600? Or should I just leave it at 1333 because the difference is so minimal?

Thanks for any help. Wow is it a great time for Ocers!!!!

my d0 pulled like 400mhz on 1.25 or less, after that i really had to bump it to get anymore.

14 hours no erros or issues even with simultaneous usage. Wow. I never remember overclocking being so "automatic"

Any ideas on how to get the ram up guys

Oh yeah...Vid card is lowly 7900T and PSUis an OCZ Powerstream 520 (33A singl 12v rail)

New GTX260 216 55nm on the way

If I need a new PSU after that I'll get the 850TX corsair

Any ideas here guys? Should I be asking this in the memory section? nothing I do allows the memory to run at 1600 while the cpu is OC'ed. At stock CPU its just fine.

Well, XMP lets the ram run at 1800 so I can't fathom why no 1600 but oh well. Timings are slowed to 9-9-9-27 instead of 8-8-8-24

I've got the cpu up to 3.6 now (180) but was blue screening even after adding much volts so turned turbo off and went for 1800 on the ram (was at 1440 but xmp 2 timings)

Tried to bring qpi down to 1.35 but no go...BS right at windows startup so i brough it back up to 1.4 (as xmp set it). Priming small fft now for about an hour.

Was 24hours prime stable with DDR3 1333 8-8-8-24 at 167 with turbo on and only 1.13 volts. For 3.6 with turbo off I'm already up to 1.21 volts and stillw aiting to see if I get another BS.

Could these Blue Screens be from a corrupt OS instead of CPUI failure. When I first started experimenting I was clearly getting "Core x returned an invalid response" errors, but not blue screens.

Still coming to terms with this i7 platform. It's so different from what I've had in the past.

Asus application of the XMP sucks. It presets all of the voltages except vCore and QPI/Dram (vvt). When I check with TurboV I see my vvt is 1.375 and vCore is 1.25. WTF! Maybe the GSkill sticks are preprogrammed for those two settings I don't know, but I can do a lot better. Do yourself a favor and go into the memory timings page in the bios and change back 2 back (B2B) to 6 (with the 1440 memory speed).

If your trying to find vCore for a certain speed, drop the memory/uncore speed and loosen timings. This will allow you to focus on vCore. This is given that you know the vvt/vioh needed for a bclk of 160. If you don't, all multis and push bclk. You'll need to up vvt and to some extent vioh.

BTW, your going to need a new power supply when that card shows up. Yes a 520w can supply the systems needs with the new card, but your really straining it trying to oc an i7 too. I will help your i7 oc too as your voltage swings will be smaller and more stable.

I used XMP for setup, then DOCP for initially messing after I turned a few things down there. Watch messing with that it can through voltages way up.

My cooling isn't bad, just been leaving the VCore on auto myself even if it is high, the temps topping out on Priming for small ftt's and large ran about 49 minutes havent messed to much I guess yet.

IBT V2.2 I can run on maximum 5 passes and only hits 80C, so pretty happy camper atm myself, but it does pull 1.432 VCore on auto.

HT is off, not sure if a big advantage to having it on, if so Ill adjust later I guess.

About it, hasn't taken too long to ween off those and experiment a bit :)

:beer:

Last edited:
Oh, forgot. Use manual instead of XMP. I used XMP, but found weird stability problems when pushing the clocks. As far as I'm concerned, XMP is only useful for stock clocks.

Thanks mastrdrvr. Well this run is so far 10 hours in and good. Funny, what seems to have done it was switching from DDR3-1440 to 1800! Does that make any sense at all? This is still with XMP though. After this run I'll dump XMP and try that way. I'm pretty sure it's the ram that's causing these weird issues.

If I get 24 hours i'll re-enable turbo and see what happens. I also ran about 8 hours of memtest on the memory at 1800 and got the all clear. Never bothered with 1440 because I just assumed slower clock would be equal or more stable.

Back