• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WORKING PIN MOD (bsel) for core 2 quad q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CladInShadows

Before we start, I have already seen this thread (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729454) and it still doesn't give me an illustration of how to pinmod a Q9550 cpu (not an E2200!).

Please, no manual or software suggestions such as going through BIOS or using clockgen because guess what? I'm using a DELL computer! :D. I've had my q6600 overclocked ever since I got my Dell XPS 420 years ago, and I realize there are sites all over the internet that detail this working mod, but no WORKING mod for q9550 which I just got :(. The chip has been out since 2008 (I believe), so I figure there has to be somebody out there that has figured out a bsel I can use for this chip. (And no, the mod for the q9650 doesn't work, tried it) :).

Anyone??

Last edited:
If the Dell motherboard doesn't support 400FSB, nothing will get you there.
Do you know if it supports it?
The BSEL mod for 333 to 400 is simple enough, this article (that you've already been linked to once) has the charts and pinmap to do it with: http://www.overclockers.com/intel-lga775-pad-modding/
Connect BSEL1 to VCC. Super easy (as these thing go, anyway). If it boots at 400 you're golden. If it doesn't boot your motherboard doesn't support 400FSB, and you're 100% out of luck.

BSEL is BSEL on 775, if you did the 333-400 BSEL mod on a q9650 and it didn't work it won't work on anything else, either.

EDIT:
Hey that article even has the 333-400 charted for you!
333400.jpg

The q6600 has a 266mhz base frequency, the q9650 has a 333mhz base frequency. So, nothing strange there.

QFT. You're out of luck here
Well I got it to OC in setfsb from 2.83 to 3.40. It's just too bad I have to keep re-adjusting the settings after I shutdown PC. I think the updated ("donation") version of setfsb may fix this problem.

I don't know if the problem is the setfsb version being used. The problem might be that you need to add a longer delay in the command line parameter when doing a cold boot.

I don't know if the problem is the setfsb version being used. The problem might be that you need to add a longer delay in the command line parameter when doing a cold boot.
Okay. I only had it at 5 seconds, then tried ten. I'll try 15 and I'll see if that does anything...

-s and -i essentially do the same thing. -s set the front side bus of your cpu at a specified mégahertz, -i is an offset from the stock base frequency of your cpu.

So, is it working now?

-s and -i essentially do the same thing. -s set the front side bus of your cpu at a specified mégahertz, -i is an offset from the stock base frequency of your cpu.

So, is it working now?
After what? Do you think messing with the stock base frequency has anything to do with how the program saves after a cold boot?

Back