• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate some suggestions on a new CPU MB combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks. I don't buy anything f off Ebay for personal reasons but I can find it on Newegg or Amazon. The last thing I want to do in install my OS and all my software but since my perfectly working system is old....lol
Post magically merged:

I will end up buying a MB and CPU that is way more than I need but I guess it is what it is...

The why suggest it forget about the DDr3 RAM I have it sounds like I will end up building another system like I have which when I built it was a top of the line system. give me suggestions thta are good that you would do. Not being a a jerk, just direct

I would target Intel 11th gen like a Core i5 11600k, or the much cheaper route would be 11400F. Then you have your pick of a TON of new motherboards from Asus, you can pretty much take your pick at that point. DDR4 is also pretty cheap these days. Even with having to buy new RAM you'll probably end up not that far off from the 6th gen upgrade if you shop around.

Not only would this be similar money, it's going to be a huge jump in performance vs 6th gen and even bigger vs your current 4th gen system.

Thanks again for your help, don't ask me why but I always buy better than I need so I will be looking at i7 not i5.

The why suggest it
Because you're incredibly insistent even in the face of previous advice saying otherwise...now you're throwing in the towel. :)

He has a valid upgrade path for you.... but at $400 already, for the same amount or a pittance more, you can have something even better, that supports Windows 11, and will give you and your software a longer lease on life. Hell, even 10th gen Intel and Z490 would be good. Chances are, if you get a decent board, it has enough USB ports on the rear IO so you can ditch the USB card as well......if you answer that question, that is...............lol

2x8GB DDR4 3600 would mate perfect with a i3-10100 (4c/8t part, same as his CPU now) and a Z490 board...

So...

i3-10100 - $102
Asus TUF Z590 Gaming - $140
2x8GB DDR4 3600 - $45

Thanks again for your help, don't ask me why but I always buy better than I need so I will be looking at i7 not i5.
Again, are you sure you know what you're talking about here? As the generations get newer, the core count goes up... So you're 4c/8t 4790K is an i3 for 10th generation.....

don't worry about the USB card I just checked and not one is being used. Sorry I must have missed your question about that.

Thanks for your suggestions but I want a i7

I don't remember talking about the USB except that I had a USB card. Maybe I need to do some reseach on the Intel i5 compared to the i7 I know you are right and know way more in your little finger than I have in my head ever though I have built every Computer I have had in the last 20 years if not more. I just always get the best to be safe.

I don't remember talking about the USB except that I had a USB card.
Exactly. So are you using a PCIe USB card along with your capture card or not? If so, just make sure your board has 3 or more PCIe slots and that you can use them all with your GPU in the top/primary graphics slot. Again make sure you NEED to use that card for additional USB ports as many boards have enough on the rear IO and front panel already.

Maybe I need to do some reseach
Please do! With much respect, you're blurting things out that you want, but it makes little sense compared to what you say you need (hence our questions). So yeah, take some time to understand the differences. The i3-10100 has the same core/thread count but is a lot faster since it's a lot newer. The i5-10400 has 6 cores and 12 threads, MORE than your current CPU already and is a lot faster since it's a lot newer.

I just always get the best to be safe.
In 2018 when you say you bought your PC, the hardware was already generations old and the CPU is mid-range while the motherboard would be considered budget. The 10th gen stuff we're suggesting came out in 2019. Nothing we're listing is the best, or close to it. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but simply trying to set and manage expectations.

It's like going to the car meet saying you have the best mustang, but it's a generations GT, not a Shelby Cobra (hopefully you're a car guy, lol).

If I was in your shoes from what you've said, I'd go i5-10400. It's more than you need and isn't as outlandish in pricing as the i7.

Last edited:
I answered the question about the USB card, I have it installed but not using any ports so I don't need a slot for it. Just my GPU and Capture card. I understand that a i3 is way better than what I have now and appreciate you explaining it that way. It will save me money.

correct, so that means I only need slots for my GPU and capture card but should I limit to only 2 slots? what about the future and would I need another slot for another card??
Post magically merged:

what do you think about this MB

correct, so that means I only need slots for my GPU and capture card but should I limit to only 2 slots? what about the future and would I need another slot for another card??
Most boards have more than two slots. I was never trying to get you down to two slot, but to actually see what hardware you have and need. ;)

As far as the future, no idea.... what do you think you'd throw in there? Are you going to eclipse the amount of SATA ports? NVMe sockets? Need faster than 1 GbE? Better integrated audio? More USB ports? These things can be mitigated by buying an actual mid-range-class motherboard or higher. Getting it ON the motherboard prevents the hassle of add-in-cards down the road.

But again, look at the specs of the 'asus' listed above... does it have what you need? If not, you may need to spend a bit more on the board...or potentially use an add-in-card it's up to you.

EDIT: That board you ninja edited after I posted this is fine...........if it has what YOU need.

did you see the link for the MB I am looking at? it is above your last post. I wouldn't want a onboard GPU since I have a fairly good one would I?

did you see the link for the MB I am looking at? it is above your last post. I wouldn't want a onboard GPU since I have a fairly good one would I?
Yes...............did you see my edit about 'the board you ninja edited in'?? "It's fine if it has what you need"

You don't really have a choice about integrated GPU... it's in the CPU (the one you have already too) and you're using your discrete card currently. ;)

it's quite obvious I have no clue what I need, I'm just wanting to get a Asus MB that will take care of what I need now. the comment from Folding Addict is good to hear.. Thanks to both of you. EarthDog you're dealing with someone 66 years old so some of your comments or words leave me scratching my head but I appreciate your help. Here is another ninja edit......lol the reason I like the MB I linked is it looks like it has so many ports of all kinds on the back panel...
Post magically merged:

Thanks again for your input on the MB do you know the difference between the -A and -P

Do some research or keep asking questions if there is something you don't understand. :)

lol the reason I like the MB I linked is it looks like it has so many ports of all kinds on the back panel...
"lol, I have no idea what I need but that has a lot of them!" - Love it! :rofl:

Yeah, it has several USB ports (two Type-C) and video outputs in case you need to use the integrated graphics... however it is missing Wi-Fi... do you need Wi-Fi or do you connect to the internet through a cable?

Thanks again for your input on the MB do you know the difference between the -A and -P
By looking up the specifications and comparing them... port counts, port types, etc are some of the differences that matter to you (others don't like power delivery, for example).

I do not; however, opening up the spec page for each on the Asus site would probably be the best way to figure it out. I believe the differences would be extremely minor though. Just visually I can say the -p has more basic looking VRM cooling.

Back