• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 3800+ Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xenotick

Registered
Hello,

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT CF-DR (RDX200) - Latest BIOS flashed
Heatsink: Stock heatsink, as came with CPU
PSU: Seasonic 600W S12-600
Operating System: Windows XP Home SP 2 W

When running 3dMark05 the average FPS during the CPU test comes out at approx 1.1, whereas I've seen others with the same stock CPU getting results around 4-5 FPS and much higher CPU scores. Consequently, my overall 3dMark05 benchmark score is also very low - 6,300 running an 8800GTX (also stock).

I was previously running an X1800XL but had the same issue with that card and assumed that it could be the reason performance is so bad in games and benchmarking software (thus recently purchased an 8800GTX to try to relieve this problem) - changing the graphics card has not helped however so I assume it's either a problem with the CPU or motherboard.

I've tried the Microsoft X2 'hotfix' which is said to improve performance in most cases however it doesn't appear to have had any effect on the PC's performance at all.

3dMark05 Results: http://www.fileden.com/files/1/3dmark.jpg
http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=12&XLID=0&UID=6940616

Thanks for your help in advanced :)

Last edited:
Something is wrong. You updated bios ? U have AMD Dual-Core Optimizer ?
You changed a video card, and you didnt reinstalled windows ? Because this is a known issue.

ronaldo said:
Something is wrong. You updated bios ? U have AMD Dual-Core Optimizer ?
You changed a video card, and you didnt reinstalled windows ? Because this is a known issue.

Yeah... could be a driver issue. I, personally, don't believe you need an OS reload. And if you do, it's not because you switched vid cards. Did you use DriverCleaner to remove your ATI drivers remains before installing the 8800GTX & nVidia drivers? Be sure not to kill off your ATI Chipset drivers with DriverCleaner... only the video drivers.

AlabamaCajun said:
Sounds like cool and quiet is kicking in! What is you memory bandwidth, HT speed etc?

How's it disabled? :)

HTT, memory, etc all at stock at the moment. I'm running completely stock for the sake of trouble shooting. Did a stock run and got 5,600 3dmarks in 05..

Once again, performed poorly on the CPU side. The CPU is then also probably limiting the GPU bringing down the score further.

What is "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer"?

Also, I had this problem BEFORE changing my graphics card, I got very low scores with my x1800xl also..

Don't know why this just came to mind but...

- do you have the 4-pin molex on the mobo plugged in? At least I believe the DFI CrossFire boards have the same plug as the nF4-SLI boards.

- how do your 3.3, 5, & 12 volt rails look in bios? any major sag?

Well, I'm thinking it could be a mobo problem as from the beginning I could never get memory running in dual channel mode - (following from the manual using dual channel RAM, but here's CPU-Z info:

Processor(s)
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 (max 2) per processor
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Code Name Manchester
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Package Socket 939
Family/Model/Stepping F.B.1
Extended Family/Model F.2B
Brand ID 5
Core Stepping BH-E4
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2002.0 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 10.0 x 200.2 MHz
HT Link speed 1001.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge ATI Xpress 200 (RS480) rev. 01
Southbridge ATI SB400 rev. 80
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 166.8 MHz (CPU/12)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRDC) 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
Command Rate 2T
System
System Manufacturer
System Name
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor
Mainboard Model
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version 6.00 PG
BIOS Date 12/23/2005
Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

All looks okay to me, the memory is running at low mhz because I didn't increase the divider when moving back to stock - but I had the problems when the memory was at 200mhz too.

Yeah, I'm in contact with AMD about the issue too - they havn't had any ideas that've worked yet - i've installed the dual core optimizer thingo.

Back