• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another AMD fx-9590 and Sabertooth 990x r2.0 freezing thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowyowl

Hello all,
I am trying to get my build to a stable point and well i'm not an overclocker rather I would just rather have a stable computer. My friend picked the parts for me so i was unaware of the issues with this cpu at the time. Having read through a bunch of posts and have attempted a couple things that I was able to figure out how to do none have been fully successful and many of the further solutions start to go above my head.
Currently I have,
  • turned off turbo
  • turned off cores 7&8
  • even downclocked (i think not really sure)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pHtH9W here is the component list to my build.
It was to where it would take several hours before it would freeze under most use but I recently picked up battlefield 4 again and running that can only get a couple to single hours of play time before things lock up.
I would love any help i can get as i just want a stable computer.

As a test take out half your ram 32 GB is a hard pill for this CPU. Crank up the fans on that cooler then see how it goes.

As a test take out half your ram 32 GB is a hard pill for this CPU. Crank up the fans on that cooler then see how it goes.
Will do when im at my computer next though in the process of seeing of the other parts were the issue i have run this with 16 too but at this point im willing to try/test anything ^v^

Question how should I test? prime95 as that seemed to set it off quite quickly prior and if so for how long?

Sure P95 is fine. When you test can you have HWMonitor free running and get a screen capture. Would like to see voltages and temps if it'll run that long. Also post up CPUz main,memory and SPD tabs

heres what I got note this is still with the bios settings the same as before aka with 7&8 cores turned off as well as might have been some other changes i dont remember
CPUZ:
cpuz.jpg
After a couple mins:
2min.jpg
after ~10 mins:
10min.jpg
So it seems to be quite stable now that im only running 16 gb memory but if we could get it so it doesnt have to be nutured w/o those cores or if can handle more that would be awesome

Also decided to try with the other cores turned on and it locked up after a bit but heres the output at the time of lockup sorry for the cellphone pics
lockhw.jpg
lockp95.jpg
Got this odd error in prime95 on the 8th core
error.jpg

I think your DRAM frequency is your problem. 1070 mhz showing in the CPU memory tab is the DDR bus speed. In DDR3 terms, it's double that or 2170 mhz. FX CPUs have relatively week integrated memory controllers (IMC) compared to higher end Intel chips and will generally only go to 1866 mhz on the memory. So, lower your RAM divider to 933/1866. I think the mystery may be solved. Certainly, your temps look okay.

I think your DRAM frequency is your problem. 1070 mhz showing in the CPU memory tab is the DDR bus speed. In DDR3 terms, it's double that or 2170 mhz. FX CPUs have relatively week integrated memory controllers (IMC) compared to higher end Intel chips and will generally only go to 1866 mhz on the memory. So, lower your RAM divider to 933/1866. I think the mystery may be solved. Certainly, your temps look okay.

dramfreq.jpg
v,v no go atleast if i think i changed the right setting

Mosfets are getting to hot and its crashing. Welcome to owning a 9590, try direct cooling the PWM of the motherboard and see if that helps. Also turn up the maximum wattage the chip can pull, turn off and of the PWM power save junk as it causes more issues than its worth.

Try taking 2 sticks of ram out or add some voltage to the NB.
Do you have 32GB or 16GB the PN suggest 4x4 GB

Also, you vcore is a little low. Typically the stock vcore is between 1.425 and 1.45 on those chips. That's gonna hit your temps harder also.

My 9370 is 1.5v right on the nose Scotty. It doesn't need that but that's where it's set

Try taking 2 sticks of ram out or add some voltage to the NB.
Do you have 32GB or 16GB the PN suggest 4x4 GB

As per your previous suggestion im running 2x8 for 16gb currently which seems with the settings everything is at currently seems to be quite stable

I don't think you have enough voltage for that clock speed. I think you should try 16 gigs of ram, and add fans to the vrm and socket too.

Check the "Memory" tab in CPU-z and look at the number in the DRAM Frequency window to make sure. If it's still 1070 you didn't adjust the right parameter in bios.

- - - Updated - - -

Mosfets are getting to hot and its crashing. Welcome to owning a 9590, try direct cooling the PWM of the motherboard and see if that helps. Also turn up the maximum wattage the chip can pull, turn off and of the PWM power save junk as it causes more issues than its worth.

Maybe, but his socket and core temps look quite cool and his voltage is a little on the low side. And that is a stout board. Don't think the mosfets are the issue at this point.

Maybe, but his socket and core temps look quite cool and his voltage is a little on the low side. And that is a stout board. Don't think the mosfets are the issue at this point.

I have troubleshot quite a few in the same scenario mosfets degrade over time. That's the most common fail on these things. It could be as simple as pumping voltage, but that shouldn't be an issue on auto which it looks like he is.

I have troubleshot quite a few in the same scenario mosfets degrade over time. That's the most common fail on these things. It could be as simple as pumping voltage, but that shouldn't be an issue on auto which it looks like he is.
just fyi my board is <2 years old

can only get a couple to single hours of play time before things lock up.

This is from simple low v-core.

You should be able to run this chip at 4.7ghz at around 1.416v MIN and may require 1.5250v at times.

Since this processor can require so much voltage, manually clocked speed and voltage must still apply under the P-state list. Your P-state may only require 1.5125v for 4.7ghz, but the reality is these FX-9590 processors require this much v-core even at much lower speeds. Even at 4.4ghz, the P-state voltage is crazy high. They call these High leakage chips.

The best way to do this is by turning off Cool and Quiet and C1E along with all other power saving features. LLC should be set to Ultra High. This will stabilize the voltage for a constant feed. Start at low less than 1.4150v. If you still encounter hang or freeze ups, increase this voltage incrementally. Mine likes 1.49125v for up to 4.9ghz roughly 8 hours stable. At 5ghz or more I need every bit of 1.5250v or more.

The memory is fine. You want to run CPU/NB and HT at manually set voltages. 1.2v is plenty on both. If you encounter issues with memory, you may only need a slight memory voltage bump. If it's 1.5v on auto, put this to 1.65v for better stability. Raising CPU/NB will only raise cpu temps and not necessary. I've been running mix matched memory individually tested at similar settings to yours. Not issues other than heat or low volt hangs.

It looks like you have the cooling for this chip judging by temps I see now, but a fair bit of warning, the socket temp really needs to be watched closely. Thermal throttle on auto would start at 65c. I can tell you from experience, over 55c the chip may not like it.

Back