• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman VF 700, mostly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlailBoy

For those of you that are using one of these coolers, are you using it in 'silent mode' or running it at 12 volts?

I'm asking because I'm trying to bump up the clocks on my Leadtek 6600gt but was getting some artifacting. Late last night I switched to 12v and the artifacting seems to have gone away. It really isn't that much louder with the case closed. I'll need to play around with this some more, but I think with the modded sinks I used for the RAM, I really need the extra airflow.

Also, could someone please tell me:

1: How to identify artifacting due to RAM vs. due to GPU.

2. What the small processor is on the Leadtek that's got the passive aluminum sink over it.

Thx,

fb

The chip under the passive heatsink is the HSI bridge chip to bridge the processor from its native pcie back to agp. Leave the passive sink on if you can for sure.
Typically through my experience, memory artifacts look like snow or colored dots on the screen, and core artifacts look like tearing or wierd colored polygons.

um. i think artficating of the memory looks like a checkerd pattern and artifacting of a GPU is more like polygons which are black or white and large they will look misplaced in a 3d secne

Ok thx chevro1et. Now I know what it is and yeah-I just cleaned and re-applied the sink.

chevro1et said:
Typically through my experience, memory artifacts look like snow or colored dots on the screen, and core artifacts look like tearing or wierd colored polygons.

Blackmage said:
um. i think artficating of the memory looks like a checkerd pattern and artifacting of a GPU is more like polygons which are black or white and large they will look misplaced in a 3d secne

I have encountered different answers on this myself. :confused: Obviously I can just keep tweaking the clocks, but it'd be nice to know what's what.

The artifacts I encountered were sporadic purplish rectangles that would blip in and out at random points on the screen. This was while playing EAW, 1600x1200, 2x AA, no vsync, high details.

In BF2 I get random polygons go flying through my screen vertically, its because my memory gets to hot.

Back