• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zotac nForce 780i Mother board Replace or Amp up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnAOK

My first build and exited to keep it up to date.

At first I was trying to build a gaming/media center. It looks as if I use it more for media than gaming, however I do like pc games better than consoles. So gaming is still nice.

My question is should I go for another mother board (complete rebuild) or should I stick it out with what I have for a while. I know I have to do something because I run hot, video's glitch and Microsoft media player takes too long to start up. Mostly runs hot especially with Media Center.

I was thinking about installing a better cpu cooler, over clocking the cpu and upgrading the video card. Roughly a $300 upgrade. I would need to stay under $600 to keep the wife from killing me but I will hear everyone's advise. ;)

This is what I have now:

Seventeam ST-750PAF 750W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ZOTAC NF780I-A-E LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996622

ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3P-FSR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I was running two Video Cards in SLI but one burned up so now I just have the one. :(

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower
{the two large fans were hitting the case so their unplugged, so I have the front and rear fan running only with the case open. Getto, I know.}

I also have three hard drives. But the one I have my operating system booting off of is;
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Running Window 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Again most of what I would like is to play my torrents (if you know what I mean) in high quality and no duress with multiple (2 or more) monitors.

I love your forum and have come a long way from buying a new computer being disappointed and buying another one with the same results. Upgrading is cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I decided to get a quality CPU air cooler. That seems to make everything work much better however, after looking into overclocking it seems that my CPU is "locked". So what I have is all I can do. Please let me know if anyone knows better.

Back