• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Killed my x800pro today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColtIce

Disabled
thread title says it all.I was putting an Amd hsf on it and I hear a "crack"and my heart sank :cry: booted it up and artifacts everywhere,changed out to the stock cooler and the same deal.I'm on an old tnt 2 right now and boy does it suck.nothing I can do about it right now either.time to start saving up for another card I guess.maybe I can score a better one next time.

sorry to hear that, man. I think I nearly did the same thing today. viperjohn sent me a quieter fan for the heatsink and i decided the screws needed another turn. So when I told him what i did and everything went okay, he was like ahhh! you tightened them too much! so after dumping in my pants, I tightened them properly to I am told works out to 10 lbs of pressure. what exactly was the crack? is that the core?

kind of funny that I'm on a card that I bought to upgrade my k6-2 rig way back when.messed up thing is I did right before I had to goto work and I just felt sick for about the first hour and a half.I never even got to bench it hard really.I got it ,my new ram,and my mobo(from RMA)all within 2 days of each other less than 3 weeks ago.oh well not the end of the world just no games for me for a couple of months.

that sucks big time....... the things we do for a few extra mhz...... hopefully your next venture will be less painful.

No one likes to think of losing expensive hardware, but I suppose in this game it is bound to happen to us all eventually. God knows I've fried my fair share already.
Sorry for your misfortune, as said above; maybe this will open a door to something better in the future.

yeah I think thats why I'm not super upset about it.don't get me wrong it sucks and I will not be able to replace it for a couple of months but I was due to kill something.I have managed to round up a 9700pro AIW that the tuner features are broken.it also needs a heatsink and I'm not to anxious to go slapping another AMD hsf on it either.I think I might get a vga silencer for it just to hold me over.
at any rate I guess it will give me some time to work on my super pi score

got some semi decent news on this x800 I found where the problem is and I'm going to send it to Viper John.His says it might be able to be saved it just depends whether or not it did any damage from booting with the part missing.it costs the same if it fixes it or not but it's a bet I'm willing to take.

If he can't fix it, this might be a good time to sell your board and cpu and move to a 939 pci-express system. Or, even a 754 pci-e setup.

Yuriman said:
If he can't fix it, this might be a good time to sell your board and cpu and move to a 939 pci-express system. Or, even a 754 pci-e setup.
you have a good point the only thing is I'm a little nervous at rolling the dice and getting a better cpu.This one is Prime stable for 24+ hours at 2652 and 3dmark/super pi benchable at 2724+.currently I can spank many a winnie and I want to wait at least a month or two to see how venice does before I decide if I'm ready to make the move to 939.

You had to kill your card on my birthday :(

I will fly the flag at half mast on hearing of your unfortunate news

09112002_halfmast.jpg

Back