• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good mobo for mild-medium overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wish you had asked about the ram thing before buying. Man we have seen a rash of Kingston giving issues with AMD for the last 6 or 7 months. Of course not all but enough that it became somewhat apparent.

Plenty of us are recommending mostly G Skill DDR3-1866 since the memory controller in the FX cpus is able to handle DDR3-1866 rather handily and gives some boost. I always ran my DDR3-1600, G Skll Ares 2x4 = 8gig kit overclocked to nearly DDR3-1800 since it would do it and it gave me a noticealble performance boost. Then I got some Ares G Skill DDR3-1866 and run it at <DDR3-2000 since it just seems to love it up there.

Oh well, it is always live and learn in this hobby and by the time we learn one thing...they have moved on to even newer tech.
RGone...

ffs... I read reviews. I really do. I try not to make uneducated purchases. I have no intention of overclocking my ram honestly. I am running music production and mastering software which is more CPU than RAM, so I wont have a need for over clocked ram. Stock ram should be fine right?

You will hear mixed feelings on ram on these forums. Some say just get the lowest CL & voltage for your particular speed. Some will recommend brands while others say brand doesn't matter as long as it's not defective.

Honestly the main reason I asked was my Patriot 1600 runs great at stock, but I cant seem to OC it more than 1680 and that's with loosening the timings and a slight overvolt from stock. It very well could be my lack of experience with ram, but I've also read that Patriot is not know to be a good overclocker.

Either way, if you have no plans to OC the ram and just OC with the multi or down clock the ram and OC with both FSB & multi than you maybe alright. I haven't used Kingston in over a decade so I can't say much about their newer stuff.

Have you raised the ram's voltage at all. I know you've been trying your hand at benching. As long as you have decent air movement your ram can handle more volts, especially over the short term.

This I copied from NewEgg User Review sounds eXactly like how your ram is >> . It's a little slower RAM. However, at cas9 , 1600MHz, and 1.65v, they're very good. just don't expect more and don't try to pair with 1.5v RAM. << Hardly any head room for an overclock.

And no idea what "slightly faster" means but if you went from DDR3-1600 at 9,9,9 timings to about DDR3-1750 OR LESS, then you are shooting your own foot having to loosen that much for just that little of a ram overclock.

My good G Skill Ares stuff will clock from DDR3-1600 up to DDR3-1840 using the same timings for both speeds. Now that is worth pushing the ram some.
RGone...

EDIT:
Plus I see you have 2 kits of that 2x4gig stuff. So you really have a load on the IMC. You may have to put the CPU_NB up to 1.28V or so just to handle the load of 4x4gig sticks.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Blaylock said:
I wanna say 1680ish, but I don't have my notes in front of me. Not really worth the looser CAS IMO, and CL9 is 1666.

I think you are correct in not worth that looser CAS 10 etc for that little speed increase.
RGone...

Back