• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard or CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here is my thuban.
outlined in black is the "cpu" line, this is also called socket temp, about 70 is the limit for 24/7 stuff.
outlined in blue is the core temps, about 55c is the limit for 24/7 stuff, into the low 60's will not release the magic smoke that powers our stuff so it's not going to go pooooooffff if you go over these.
you'll find that the socket limit for most good boards is 90c but that's a little high for game or 24/7 use.
when benching.......................I can't seem to find any limits because I turn all that safty and green stuff off.

Attachments

• thuban.JPG
    thuban.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 64
here is my thuban.
outlined in black is the "cpu" line, this is also called socket temp, about 70 is the limit for 24/7 stuff.
outlined in blue is the core temps, about 55c is the limit for 24/7 stuff, into the low 60's will not release the magic smoke that powers our stuff so it's not going to go pooooooffff if you go over these.
you'll find that the socket limit for most good boards is 90c but that's a little high for game or 24/7 use.
when benching.......................I can't seem to find any limits because I turn all that safty and green stuff off.

yeah I use the same software to look at my temps and stuff. Ill look and see temps I am running at when I run a prime 95 stress test.

Alright so here is a screen shot of temps after about an hour and a half on prime 95. IMG_2497.JPG

at 55c at 1.248 on the vcore you need to get a lot of air on that vrm, can you get a fan pointed at it?

I will look and see. I should be able to rig something up. This is all because my board sucks at cooling?

no, it's because you have a monster cpu on a wrong board, a 970 chipset board is SWEET!!!!!!!! with a deneb, 965, 955 a cpu like that.
let me pull a monster heater system off the shelf so I can keep on the same page while you rig up a fan.
be creative, we out here will never see it, masking tape, wire coat hanger, whatever hangs it there is ok with us.

here's what you're up against, this is an 8 core.
I have no fan on the heat sinks, just case flow, this is on my crosshair 5 formula-z.

Attachments

• zample.PNG
    zample.PNG
    100.1 KB · Views: 41
no, it's because you have a monster cpu on a wrong board, a 970 chipset board is SWEET!!!!!!!! with a deneb, 965, 955 a cpu like that.
let me pull a monster heater system off the shelf so I can keep on the same page while you rig up a fan.
be creative, we out here will never see it, masking tape, wire coat hanger, whatever hangs it there is ok with us.

Makes sense. So price wise I know a fan is the way to go. But performance wise... With a fan helping cool the vrm will I be able to overclock a little more? Or am I better off spending more money and getting a motherboard that's for my CPU?

in the longer term, new board that'll fit to the cpu or a cpu that fits the board.
the fx 6300 will game fine, but it's got to get to 4.5 and above, you'll never make it with that board.

in the longer term, new board that'll fit to the cpu or a cpu that fits the board.
the fx 6300 will game fine, but it's got to get to 4.5 and above, you'll never make it with that board.

Yeah my goal was to hit 4.5! I was 3.8 bought that water cooler and was able to hit 4. Now the question sits on what motherboard to upgrade to. Hmm.... Lol.

the m5a990x pro or the sabertooth are at the bottom of the price list.
I know that the sabertooth will get all you can get from the fx all the way up to the 8 core.
I have never owned an m5a990x.

the sabertooth is a great, as in top of the line 6 core board
the m5a99fx is a budget board for fx, if you have the money or are into overclocking for the long term, this is the board.
if you think you might go extreme clocking or go to an 8 core cpu a crosshair 5 formula z is the way to go
I don't use gigabyte for fx cpu's, only apu's.

I think I am gonna go with the saber tooth. Will do it later this week. Will post back how it does once I get it up and running. Fingers crossed I'll be able to hit 4.5 with my fx6300. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. Unless I just have a really bad chip lol.

I think I am gonna go with the saber tooth. Will do it later this week. Will post back how it does once I get it up and running. Fingers crossed I'll be able to hit 4.5 with my fx6300. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. Unless I just have a really bad chip lol.
Great board you will not be disappointed with it. Most Fx 6300's with enough cooling will do 4.5 fairly easy.

I wouldn't touch this system. Get another year out of it and upgrade to ZEN 8c16t around Q3-Q4 2016 - Will be AM4 DDR4.

Just my two pennies.

shrimps, we are in q-3 of 2015, that's a year away and I have spent a lifetime waiting for the next best thing only to find disappointment at the end, bulldozer to excavator, haswell to broadwell, and the list goes on.......
and he needs a board that will still be alive when whatever zen might bring if or when it gets here.

Alright got the sabertooth installed. Trying to get all the windows updates and stuff back to the way it was before. Tried a brief overclock at 4.3. So far so good. Think I should be able to get more out of it with a little more time.

Back