• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard or CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alright got it done! just curious what that does so I can learn.
Anything else I can do for an improvement? I am pretty happy with my overclock thus far. Thanks!
memory.JPG memory1.JPG

to screen shot the bios, plug a flashdrive into a usb port and press the f12 key.
use paint/save as/ png or jpeg to compress it to be able to upload them to the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

to know if we need to keep pushing the clock, what is the reason for the overclocking?

Well with timings how I understand it, the amount of time the each individual part of the ram holds and acts on the instruction it receives, until it passes it on to the next bank on the memory module. The lower the timing ie "tighter" the less time it takes and or has for it to act on the instruction and then pass it on to the next module. If set too tight it can cause instability. This is a good read on memory additionally this is a good guide for tuning the Fx chips. View attachment AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Online gaming. Mostly Iracing. I was at a 4.0-4.1 overclock with my old board. This new board has definitely improved it

time to raise the cpu/nb, easy just go into bios and raise it to 2400, not the nb, the cpu/nb.

Yeah I can do that. What will that improve? I think right now I'm at 2000 or 2200

it will do "0" for you in game just as ram will gain you zippo, it's just the way I like to run mine.

Just change the ones I put in red, leave the rest on auto.
View attachment 168665

I ended up putting this back at auto. My comp was randomly having a hard time loading and updating webpages. Not sure if its a coincidence or what but since its been back on auto haven't had a single problem. Not sure if this would cause it or not?

It could or it could be the Cpu Nb voltage isn't high enough. How long have you stress tested it for at 4.6 using Prime Blend?

ive always done the small fft test. never blend. small fft ive had run for 4+ hours

Well the blend test also tests the ram and IMC which is necessary for stability. The CPU itself can be stable but if the rest isn't you can still get blue screens and lock-ups.

Alright so I put those ram timing settings back to what you told me to. Bumped up the CPU/nb. Gonna run a prime 95 blend test.

- - - Updated - - -

Well within about 1 minute I've had fails. What now lol?

So i went back in. set all the ram timing back to auto and put the cpu/nb to auto and am running blend test now. so far so good.

dang and it just failed set at auto running the blend. I dont see a CPU Nb Vid when I enter the bios. only CPU/NB frequency which is auto which looks like 2200.

that cpu/nb voltage should be fine for up to 2400-2600, but you might try up to 1.3.
remember, the cpu/nb is on the cpu, adding voltage and speed will add heat also.
have you added .05 volt to the ram voltage, example, your ram is 1.5 volt, you make it 1.55 volts.

Just an FYI and every setup is different even if they have the same components but my 8350 needs 1.3 Cpu Nb V to run my sticks at 1866 with the Nb Freq at 2200 Mhz. At 2600 Mhz I need 1.3875 Cpu Nb V.

Back