• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard or CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjkart20

Alright so here is my dilemma. Currently I have an asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard, with an AMD FX-6300 CPU, with an H80iGT water cooler. Right now I am overclocked at 4.0. My goal is to overclock to 4.5ish. I was wondering if I would benefit by getting the fx-8350 and keeping my current Motherboard or better off by keeping my current CPU and getting a new motherboard. The reason I say motherboard is because mine lacks VRM heatsinks so I think it limits my overclocking capabilities. Just curious what others thought.

I think an 8 core chip will run a little hotter thus decreasing your overclock with the current cooler you have (H80i).

To help, add a fan the the VRM package area to help keep VRM and Cpu socket temps under control a little better and perhaps upgrading the H80i.

4.5ghz is a reasonable overclock, but hard to say cause we don't know what your temps currently are under a stress test (full load)

When I run a stress test with my current settings for 2 hours everything passes. My mb temp stays around 32 and my CPU stays around 53. When I try and bump my overclock to around 4.4-4.5 is when it becomes unstable. The temps stay about the same but the voltage throttles up and down causes the overclock to drop down and then back up.

That's my thought too. So if that is the issue a better motherboard would allow for my current card to be overclocked even further? I'm only running like 1.3 volts. I believe my chip can go up to 1.5 max as long as CPU temps stay fine... Which they have with the water cooler.

What do you mean deneb? So you think I'm better off with a motherboard rather than CPU?
Denub was the Phenom II X4 805 to 980 BE processors. What are you using the Fx 6300 for? If you're not using more then the 6 cores it has then jumping to the 8350 isn't going to gain you anything. If you actively cool the vrm section like Shimpbrime mentioned you may be able to push further on the existing board.

I had the m5a97 R 2.0, ran a 4100, that was yuckish, a 6300, that was yucky, a 965BE clocked to 4.1, that was just the yummiest, to the point I am is search of another god like 955 or 965.
As has been stated, put a fan on your power section and it'll work for you.
unless you're willing to spend the big money on watercooling and a top line mother board the 8 cores are not for you.

Denub was the Phenom II X4 805 to 980 BE processors. What are you using the Fx 6300 for? If you're not using more then the 6 cores it has then jumping to the 8350 isn't going to gain you anything. If you actively cool the vrm section like Shimpbrime mentioned you may be able to push further on the existing board.

I mostly play iracing which is almost entirely CPU bound. That's why I was curious about an 8350 rather than a 6300. I am using a water cooler and CPU temps stay fine. So I'll try cooling vrm or getting a different motherboard with cooling already built in and overcloxk the 6300 more.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the m5a97 R 2.0, ran a 4100, that was yuckish, a 6300, that was yucky, a 965BE clocked to 4.1, that was just the yummiest, to the point I am is search of another god like 955 or 965.
As has been stated, put a fan on your power section and it'll work for you.
unless you're willing to spend the big money on watercooling and a top line mother board the 8 cores are not for you.

I am using a water cooler. What motherboard do you recommend that can allow me to also upgrade to the 8350 in the future.

a 2x 140mm, cooler master seidon will do.
for game don't worry about an 8 core, clocking the 6300 will get the job done
with 8 core the asus sabertooth is pretty much the lowest you would go.

I mostly play iracing which is almost entirely CPU bound. That's why I was curious about an 8350 rather than a 6300.
The only advantage you would get from the Fx 8350 would be if the game utilizes all 8 cores. Looking at the game specs it says minimum requirement of a Dual core processor, which leads me to believe it will not.

gotta agree with atminside, I love my amd gear but for game it's my 4790k rig.

Yeah I've heard lots of people say leave amd and switch to Intel. Not sure I could afford a full switch like that. Overall a new motherboard would be a benefit to allow me to clock the 6300 further?

yes it would.
if you game with amd it's single, big gpu, no crossfire.
if the game you enjoy is like flight sim 10, try 4 cores as high as you can clock the cpu, I have run flight sim 10 every way you can think of and it likes 4 cores as close to 100 trillahertz as you can get.

yes it would.
if you game with amd it's single, big gpu, no crossfire.
if the game you enjoy is like flight sim 10, try 4 cores as high as you can clock the cpu, I have run flight sim 10 every way you can think of and it likes 4 cores as close to 100 trillahertz as you can get.

Yeah I have a 7950 graphics card. I just can't overclock more than 4.0 right now because the voltage throttles up and down. And I am pretty sure it's bc the vrm overheats because my board sucks at cooking those.

that puts you in for a cooler and a board, lets shop some.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.microcenter.com/product/426406/M5A99FX_PRO_R20_Socket_AM3_990FX_ATX_AMD_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440025/Nepton_240M_Liquid_CPU_Water_Cooling_System

I come up with about 235 before taxes at microcenter.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.microcenter.com/product/446594/Z97_PRO4_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434177/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

and about 305 to change to intel
you might get it down 30 bucks or so with a lesser board.

Thank you very much for the help. I'll definitely look in to that motherboard. So another question. You have that I need a water cooler. Right now I have this one.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444364/Hydro_Series_H80i_GT_High_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler
With what I am overclocked at right now it keeps my CPU temp around 53. Do you think a bigger one will help?

what temp are you using? hardware monitor?
core temps 55c max and socket temps 70c max.

Back